The RF Technology Division of the Communications Technology
at NIST encourages applications for a
working with traceable measurement
systems for wide bandwidth modulated signals! This position will
set up anechoic chambers and transverse electromagnetic field cells
for precision RF field metrology and perform RF field
characterization measurements. This position will be working with
synthetic aperture techniques and making them traceable to primary
standards to characterize over-the-air communications channels. The
candidate will also use a precision modulated signal source and
signal processing to incorporate low-distortion communications
signals into the setup to build a unique test environment for novel
5G and 6G systems incorporating beam-steering phased arrays. The
candidate will incorporate measurement uncertainties into the
analysis using the NIST Microwave Uncertainty Framework.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Professional Research Experience Program (PREP) is a special
partnership between the National Institute of Standards and
Technology (NIST) and the University of Colorado Boulder. PREP
provides research opportunities to CU undergraduate and graduate
students, as well as researchers with a Bachelor's, Master's, or
PhD in NIST labs to gain research experience alongside NIST
The particular group that needs a researcher is the RF Fields Group
under the RF Technology Division at NIST.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
What We Can Offer
- Precision electromagnetic field measurements and uncertainty
- Development of multiport OTA measurement approaches, including
assessment of measurement uncertainty.
- Accurate modulated-signal analysis of signals.
- Analysis of data and the ability of measurements to provide
complete traceability path to primary standards.
- Experimental design to build repeatable test conditions that
best expose devices to a traceably known condition.
- Present and publish technical results.
The salary range is $66,000 - $87,750 annually.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be curious. Be strategic. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What We Would Like You To Have
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related
- Research experience involving one or more of the following
areas: RF measurement, antenna design/characterization, signal
processing, EMI/EMC Testing.
- RF Measurement experience.
- Antenna design/characterization.
- Signal processing.
- Experience with microwave electronics simulation software (e.g.
HFSS and ADS) is desirable.
- Experience with LabView, MATLAB, Python, other measurement
automation and analysis software.
- Mechanical and electrical design and fabrication capability is
- Metrology and uncertainty analysis experience.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- Optional: Transcripts/Proof of Degree
- If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be
verified by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using
an approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside
of the United States, please submit a translated version (if
applicable) as an optional attachment.
During the application process, you will need to enter contact
information for one reference and we will request a letter of
recommendation from them immediately following your
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue
until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Posting Contact Email: