Application Database Admin II
The Lastinger Center for Learning is an education innovation hub
within UF’s College of Education focused on creating equitable
education systems that improve teaching and learning across early
childhood and K-12 education. Specifically, the Center targets
kindergarten readiness, 3rd grade reading proficiency, and algebra
proficiency as critical milestones in children’s educational
trajectory that are predictive of success in school and life. The
Center works at the nexus of research, practice, and policy to
develop sustainable systems that leverage educational technologies
and improve the implementation of research-based practices. Housed
in one of the nation’s elite public research universities, the
Center operates as a dynamic, entrepreneurial workplace focused on
executing against UF’s service mission to strengthen the human
condition and improve the quality of life.
New Worlds Reading Initiative
In 2021, the Florida Legislature created the New Worlds Reading
Initiative, Florida’s first statewide book distribution program, to
provide at-home literacy supports for students reading below grade
level. Under the initiative, a high-quality, hardcopy book is
delivered monthly to eligible students. Their parents are provided
resources to help improve their student’s reading skills and
instill a love of reading. The Department of Education has
designated the Lastinger Center as the Administrator for the
program, responsible for fulfilling all the requirements of the
The bill establishes responsibilities for the state-level
Administrator to include:
- Developing, in conjunction with the Just Read, Florida! Office,
a selection of books from a variety of genres and covering a range
of topics, appropriate for each grade level;
- Facilitating book distribution directly or through an agreement
with a book distribution company;
- Developing and distributing marketing materials to help school
districts and local partners raise awareness of the
- Helping school districts identify potential nonprofit partners
by maintaining a list of national, state and local organizations
that have experience supporting efforts to distribute books to
- Developing training materials, including video and text
resources, to assist families as they engage in reading and improve
- Periodically distributing to participating families helpful
tips and hyperlinks to video modules via text messaging and
- Collaborates with vendors and internal teams on the design and
functionality of the data systems
- Plays a role in programming software for the development and
design of databases and data warehouses/lakes where collected data
are analyzed and prepared for reports.
- Plays a role in the development of an overall data architecture
that supports the information needs of the initiative in a flexible
but secure environment.
Other Duties as Assigned
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Creates actionable high-value analysis and reporting priorities
using available data in collaboration with New World’s Reading
Initiative teams in alignment with deliverables.
- Analyzes data requirements, application and processing
architectures, data dictionaries, and database schema(s), and then
designs, develops, amends, optimizes, and certifies database schema
design to meet system(s) requirements.
- Gathers, analyzes, and normalizes relevant information related
to, and from business processes, functions, and operations to
evaluate data credibility and determine relevance and meaning.
- Responsible for developing, implementing, and overseeing
database policies and procedures to ensure the integrity and
availability of databases and their = accompanying software.
The mission of the Lastinger Center for Learning is to create
equitable educational systems where every child and educator,
regardless of circumstances, experiences high-quality learning
every day to support children’s achievement of critical milestones
that are predictive of success in school and life. In order to
achieve this mission, the Lastinger Center is committed to
attracting, hiring, and retaining a dynamic and diverse team.
The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The
University is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race,
creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin,
political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran
status in also aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring,
promotion, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary
administration, benefits and training.
$60,000 – $75,000
Bachelor's degree and three years of appropriate experience.
Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may
substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
- Familiarity with data-intensive technologies and
- Knowledge of SAS, R, Python, and SQL, or data visualization
- Understanding of compliance relating to disclosure laws,
regulations and other requirements.
- Ability to communicate clearly in multiple venues and formats
with non-technical audiences.
- Expertise in large-scale data
- Experience with data infrastructure and data visualization
- Interest in transforming education through the application of
- Commitment to the responsible use of data for the benefit of
- Proactive, precise, and persistent
- Organization and planning skills to ensure timely follow
Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and
Relocation allowance is negotiable.
This is a time-limited position.
This position has been reposted. Previous applicants are still
under consideration and need not reapply.
Health Assessment Required: