A successful candidate will play an active role in FMU's existing
academic success. The Director of Housing and Residence Life shall
have primary responsibility overseeing the entire department of
Housing and Residence Life. This customer-centric role is
responsible to deliver service excellence support to meet the needs
of our university community. Demonstrates the professionalism
needed to handle sensitive and confidential matters. Responsible
for the residence life program which includes selecting, training,
and managing Assistant Director of Housing & Residence Life,
Housing Operations Coordinator, Administrative Assistant, Residence
Hall Coordinators, Residence Hall Safety Monitors, Resident
Assistants, Student Workers and for all the residential areas on
campus. Housing capacity: 800+ residents. The individual is a
member of the Division of Student Affairs staff reporting to the
Assistant Dean of Students.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Supervise and provide support for the Assistant Director of
Housing and Residence Life, Residence Hall Coordinators (RHC),
Housing Operations Coordinator, and co-supervise the Residence Hall
Safety Monitors, Resident Assistants, and Student Workers.
- Plan and facilitate annual Summer RHC training and Fall RA
training week; as well as additional training throughout the
- Hold weekly informative meetings with residential life staff,
alternating between RHC’s and All-Staff meetings;
- Evaluate all members of the residence life team and work with
each on goal setting and professional development;
- Plan special events such as the RA Banquets and RA Appreciation
- Serve as the co-coordinator of “RA Recruitment,” the RA
preliminary selection process involving all current RA’s and
- Train new RAs and RA alternates.
- Provide crisis counseling referral as needed.
- Provide direct supervision and meet regularly with the
Assistant Director for Housing & Residence Life, RHCs, and a
portion of the RA staff.
- Provide support for students with roommate conflicts,
relationship issues, and other issues not requiring
- When appropriate, meet with housing policy violators, and
recommend appropriate sanctions according to the violation.
- Provide ongoing in-service training for the Residence Life
staff during meetings and retreats;
- Attend weekly meetings with Student Affairs Staff.
- Coordinate a weekly residence life and housing meeting with
- Work with Facilities Management and the RHCs to coordinate
maintenance efforts in the residence halls;
- Maintain and monitor the Housing & Residential Office Life
- Coordinate ongoing assessment efforts for Housing &
- Appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse
academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of
many social, economic, cultural, ideological, racial, and ethnic
- Participate in departmental, divisional, and University
committees as assigned.
- Ensure other essential duties in Housing & Residence Life
are covered such as monthly RA salaries, supply stock, programming
tracking, student worker supervision, etc.
- Assist with special projects such as, but not limited to new
student orientation, cooperative programming with the Engagement
& Leadership program; participate as a team member in all
aspects of Student Life.
- Contribute to the overall success of the department by
performing all other essential duties and responsibilities as
- Meet weekly with the Assistant Dean of Students to provide
updates and establish ongoing open communication.
- Ability to handle information of sensitive and confidential
nature in the utmost professional manner. Demonstrate a high level
of professionalism, initiative, resourcefulness, and personal
- Maintain the privacy and confidentiality of information,
protect the assets of the institution, act ethically and with
integrity, and adhere to FMU’s Code of Conduct and policies and
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent
communication (oral and written), organizational, and time
management skills. Effective interpersonal skills and ability to
work with diverse constituents.
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment
is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Manage, prioritize, and accomplish multiple tasks/projects
simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of
average weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking
for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Ability to pivot during changing times such as Covid and other
- Master’s Degree in Higher Education Administration, College
Student Personnel, Counseling, or related field.
- Minimum of five years of full-time or seven years of part-time
experience in residence life in a College/University setting.
- Dedication to student affairs work and enhancing the student
experience on campus.
- Ability to perform complex tasks and prioritize multiple
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including
presenting to groups and in a one-to-one setting.
- Preferred knowledge of Jenzabar and Erezlife application
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, which may include
evening and weekend hours as required.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, Word, Excel, as well as
knowledge and understanding of the organizational structure,
workflow, and operating procedures.
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background check
and drug testing.
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a cover letter of
interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if
We offer a competitive salary commensurate to experience. In
addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a
list of three professional references (at least one from a previous
employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of
application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the
position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity