Assistant Director of Residential Life and Housing for
Residential Life and Housing
The Assistant Director of Residential Life and Housing for
Strategic Initiatives is a live-on-campus position with
responsibilities for on-call rotation and emergencies, including
the management of the StarRez Housing Software, providing vision
and guidance for strategic planning, project management, and data
analysis. This position has strategic responsibilities that focus
on supporting the assessment of student learning and effectiveness
This position is responsible for accurately inputting all housing
and meal plan assignments, coordinating room selection, creating,
developing, and updating online forms in the StarRez housing
portal; troubleshooting student and employee issues and working
collaboratively with campus partners
The Assistant Director for Strategic Initiatives will uphold the
Office of Residential Life and Housing mission to support Adelphi
student's development in a safe and inclusive community and commit
to on-campus leadership and citizenship through intentional social,
cultural, educational, and experiential engagement.
Director of Residential Life and
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
REQUIREMENTS: (Knowledge, skills and abilities)
- Live in one residence hall on campus and provide emergency
responses and routine referrals for that building and others on
campus as necessary.
- Provide guidance and supervision to resident student and
paraprofessional (Resident Assistant, Hall Attendant) staff in two
- Oversee maintenance and repair of structure and furnishings in
two residence halls.
- Identify the interests and needs of communities and individual
students in assigned residence halls and provide support and
programming to advance in those areas.
- Participate in departmental emergency on-call rotation.
- Serve as conduct officer in minor disciplinary incidents. This
may include conducting administrative hearings, mediating
conflicts, enforcing sanctions, and any necessary supplementary
- Demonstrate sensitivity to students, faculty, and staff of
varying racial, ethnic, religious, gender, cultural, disability,
and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Engage in problem solving with students, staff, faculty,
parents, and community members.
- Facilitate principles of strategic planning, assessment, and
- Operationalizes the use of data, reports, and assessment
results for decision making, strategic planning, and continuous
- Demonstrate success in leveraging the use of technology.
- Collaborate across the Student Affairs Division to identify key
performance indicators and track progress related to Residential
Education and Housing strategic priorities.
- Provide assistance as needed to Student Affairs units in the
development and execution of quantitative and qualitative data
analysis in support of student learning, student success, and
- Demonstrated experience in working with confidential data and
making evidence-based decisions analysis and assessment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Experience with StarRez Housing Management Software
- Knowledge in student learning outcomes and assessment
- Experience in college residence hall management with live-in
- Knowledge and experience applying student development theory to
marketing and social media strategies.
- Knowledge and experience with student development
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to serve as a role model and mentor for students and
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Must live in the assigned residence hall in the apartment
- May require frequent walking.
- May require frequent climbing of stairs.
- May require moderate or heavy lifting.
- May require frequent moving of equipment/furniture.
- Requires frequent typing for extended periods of time.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Master's degree preferred
- Two to three years of experience as a Residence Hall Director
and/or Database Administrator required.
- Resident Assistants (10).
- Hall Attendants (20+).
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally
ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated
to transforming students' lives through small classes with
world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to
support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional
liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with
particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and
Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health
and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World
Report, Adelphi is Long Island's oldest private coeducational
university, serving almost 8,000 students at its beautiful main
campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson
Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers more
than 60 undergraduate programs, more than 65 master's degree and
doctoral programs, and more than 35 certificate programs in the
liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful
partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 116,000
graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from
43 states and 64 countries, and rising rankings from top
publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that
plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
To apply, visit https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=ADELPHI&cws=39&rid=2609