College of Professional and Continuing
Responsible for advising existing students for all CPCS programs.
Assist students with course selections, financial aid, etc. and
counsel students who are in academic difficulty. Assist in
University College student recruitment by advising students from
inquiry to enrollment.
Assistant Dean, College of Professional &
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
REQUIREMENTS (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Perform a preliminary review of admissions applications. Work
with the University Office of Admissions to successfully admit
- Work with the University Office of Admissions to conduct
pre-advising with prospective students to develop a preliminary
plan of study.
- Formalize the Plan of Study once the student is admitted into
- Assist students in choosing appropriate courses and in
completing required registration forms.
- Maintain and update advisement records in CPCS student
- Perform a preliminary review of Prior Learning resumes and
documentation and complete Prior Learning coversheets in an
electronic shared file.
- Correspond with students' employers, when needed.
- Assist students in the resolution of problems concerning
academic achievement, course selection and financial aid.
- Counsel students who are in academic difficulty.
- Assist the Dean in the review of students who have applied for
- Write letters to students who request clarification on academic
policies or decisions e.g., the academic reasons for disapproved
University College student petitions.
- Provide individual academic advisement (interview, develop
plans of study, offer registration advisement, clear for
graduation) to students enrolled in all programs.
- Review transcripts of all students seeking readmission or
change of major status.
- Identify the Stop-Out population and coordinate
telephone/correspondence contacts to determine the reason for their
- Present an overview of the University College Program to
prospective students who schedule individual office appointments or
who attend Adelphi Transfer / Open Houses, Special University
College Program recruitment events, such as, University College
experience receptions, one stop enrollment days, local college
fairs and corporate recruitment events.
- Assist in recruiting University College students by working
with interested students from inquiry to enrollment.
- Responsible for specific enrollment, conversion and retention
goals to be determined by the Dean before each new semester begins.
Will receive a formal job review annually.
- Answer inquiry phone calls and e-mails form prospective
students. Make follow-up telephone calls and e-mails to prospective
- Conduct online recruitment and advising events using methods
such as instant messaging, message boards and live web chat.
- Act as a liaison between students and other Departments in the
- Periodically work at an off-site location advising students and
assisting in recruiting.
- Work flexible schedules to accommodate students who may need
advisement before or after work and on the weekends.
- Attend the occasional recruitment event as needed.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Experience with and knowledge of basic higher education
admission, enrollment, student services policies and
- Excellent counseling and advising skills.
- Ability to prioritize workload according to volume, urgency,
- Excellent web-based communication skills, including social
- Provide academic counseling in Garden City and remotely under a
possible work-from-home arrangement 2-3 days per week
- Must be able to work one to two night shifts each week.
- Master's in Counseling, Higher Education or College Student
- Advising or counseling in an academic setting and/or experience
working in higher education preferred.
- Experience with veterans and active duty military
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally
ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated
to transforming students' lives through small classes with
world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to
support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional
liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with
particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and
Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health
and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World
Report, Adelphi is Long Island's oldest private coeducational
university, serving almost 8,000 students at its beautiful main
campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson
Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers more
than 60 undergraduate programs, more than 65 master's degree and
doctoral programs, and more than 35 certificate programs in the
liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful
partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 116,000
graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from
43 states and 64 countries, and rising rankings from top
publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that
plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
To apply, visit https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=ADELPHI&cws=39&rid=2611