Custodian (713) Tues-Sat 2p-10:30p
Performs Custodian Worker I duties.
Essential Job Functions of Position
Employees are expected to use chemicals, supplies and equipment to
manufacturer and University standards and to comply with University
and OSHA policies and regulations.
New employees must complete safety training within 6 months of
Work assignments for this position may include any or all of the
following plus other duties as assigned.
• Clean and disinfect urinals, lavatories, partitions and walls,
trash receptacles and other surfaces and fixtures.
• Maintain supplies of toilet tissue, paper towels and soap in
restrooms, showers and locker rooms.
• Sweep, mop, dust, strip, wax and buff floors.
• Vacuum and/or shampoo carpets.
• Clean chalk and dry erase boards.
• Clean and disinfect water fountains.
• Collect and remove waste and/or recyclable materials.
• Wash walls and windows.
• Perform other cleaning tasks in offices, classrooms,
laboratories, entrance areas, conference/meeting rooms, dining
areas, corridors, elevators, stairways, residence halls and other
public or restricted areas in University buildings.
• Move and set-up/dismantle tables, chairs, portable stages, risers
and other equipment to prepare for or clean up after special events
such as athletic events, commencement exercises, training events
• Remove ice and snow from steps and entry ways within 10 feet of
• Change and dispose of light bulbs in accordance with University
• Visually check fire extinguishers.
• Lock and unlock buildings.
• Report safety concerns or maintenance/repair needs to
Non-Essential Job Functions of Position
Education and Experience
(Please see Skills required.)
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Ability to learn the operation and care of vacuum cleaners,
scrubbing machines, buffers, and other janitorial equipment.
• Ability to work effectively with fellow workers and others.
• Ability to move and maneuver objects weighing as much as 50
• Ability to understand and follow written and verbal
• Ability to work from a ladder or lift.
Licenses, Certifications & Registrations
Additional Requirements (e.g. Physical Demands)
Ability to work from a ladder or lift and to move and maneuver
objects weighing as much as 50 pounds. Occasional requirement to
Campus Security Authority
Special Instructions to Applicant
$12.00/hr may be eligible for $1.00/hr shift differential
Tuesday - 2:00pm-10:30pm, Wednesday - 2:00pm-10:30pm, Thursday -
2:00pm-10:30pm, Friday - 2:00pm-10:30pm, Saturday -
- After completing one year of service in a benefits-eligible
position, the University will contribute an amount equal to 10% of
base pay into an employee’s defined contribution plan with TIAA .
- After one year of continuous employment, eligible employees may
officially enroll in University courses for credit or audit without
having to pay applicable tuition and fees. Law School Courses
- For an overview of the excellent benefits package, Washburn
provides employees visit
Average Hours per Week
Months per Year
Washburn is an EOE and is dedicated to providing a student-centered
and teaching-focused academic and work environment. We seek
candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a
campus climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse
student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups
that have been historically underrepresented and/or marginalized in
Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its
programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color,
religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status,
or marital or parental status.
Posting Detail Information
Background Check Required?
Driving History Checked?
Drug Screen Required?
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
For earliest consideration apply by
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled?
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
Required DocumentsOptional Documents
- * Do you have the ability to move and maneuver objects weighing
as much as 50 pounds?
- * Do you have the ability to work from a ladder and/or a lift?
- * Are you available to work from 2:00pm - 10:30pm?