TUTOR - MEDICAL ASSISTING PROGRAM - PART TIME
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
A Tutor provides students with tutoring and instructional support
in medical assisting to help improve their academic capabilities
and progress academically while promoting independent learning and
self-reliance. Tutors assist tutees in developing and improving
their competency in medical assisting core competencies; and help
students integrate test-taking strategies and time management
skills. Tutors may work inside the classroom as embedded tutors;
tutor students in pharmacology and billing and coding; and provide
on-line tutoring services to students enrolled in distance learning
courses such as Medical Assisting 102,103,104,105,106,107 and 108.
Performs related duties as required.
- Provides academic assistance and tutoring to students on an
individual or group basis on a weekly basis.
- Tutors students to help them gain a deeper comprehension of
core medical assisting competencies, medical terminology and
anatomy and physiology and a better understanding of work
assignments to improve their academic success.
- Crafts effective tutoring plans to address tutee’s weaknesses
and strengths; motivates students and provides them with confidence
to feel successful.
- Provides students with learning strategies including ways to
improve study skills and retention, how to organize work, effective
use of time, and how to build better study habits.
- Schedules individual tutoring sessions at the Academic Support
Center, based on students requests for tutoring in a specific
- Assists the tutee in problem solving and applying critical
thinking techniques in the context of a specific discipline or
- Helps students develop positive attitudes and a high level of
motivation towards learning and studying, build self-confidence and
reduce anxiety or fear of failure in academic work.
- Tutors students and provide students with strategies to develop
effective study habits and skills to improve academic
- Prepares students for standardized testing and provides
strategies to overcome test anxiety.
- Participates in tutor orientation and attends professional
development and training sessions to increase competency in subject
areas and improve tutoring skills.
- May conduct academic skill reviews and lead workshops on
- Provide ongoing communication with students, Instructors and
academic advisors regrading academic progress of individual
- Maintains records on tutoring activities.
- Provides periodic student assessments and evaluations as
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or
university in Medical Assisting or a related field of study, OR
have current medical assisting certification, either RMA (AMT) or
- At least three years of current work experience as a medical
assistant strongly preferred
- At least two years of current clinical or teaching experience
within the medical assisting discipline strongly preferred
- Completion of tutoring certification preferred
- Experience in teaching, tutoring, or delivering academic
support to students at the post-secondary instructional level is
- Experience working in a large, urban community college
environment with a diverse cultural and ethnic student body is
- Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel,
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!