Drexel is a comprehensive global research university ranked among
the top 100 in the nation. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one
of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel is one of
Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, and a major engine for
economic development in the region. Drexel has committed to being
the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community
partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and
Performs a variety of routine and complex tests in one or more
laboratories. Demonstrates thorough knowledge of laboratory
operations, including theoretical aspects of testing protocols as
well as other policies and routines. Works under minimal
supervision for specimen processing, test performance, and result
reporting. This position will report to the Technologist
- Accomplishes routine and stat testing within established
guidelines and produces accurate results. Makes correct judgments
about the validity of testing results based on quality control
- Accommodates increased workload at peak times and maintains
quality of results.
- Performs testing independently, demonstrating a thorough
knowledge of protocols and theoretical aspects of testing
- Maintains complete and accurate logs or documents including QC,
as required, according to protocols.
- Recognizes critical values and reportable results according to
protocol. Reports critical results appropriately to authorized
caregivers and documents this action in the laboratory information
- Reports and documents QA related incidents to supervisor.
- Understands and performs information system functions necessary
- Demonstrates creative thinking and problem solving and knows
when to seek appropriate consultation.
- Familiarity with Laboratory Exposure Control Plan which
includes the Chemical Hygiene Plan, Hazard Communication Program
and OSHA Blood Borne Pathogen standard and applies standard
precautions to work practices and knows how to appropriately deal
with chemical or biological spills.
- Demonstrates safe practices and team work in the performance of
assigned job duties.
- Reports any unsafe practices or conditions to appropriate
- Assists supervisor with staff training and competency
assessments, and be a resource for other lab personnel.
- Participates in proficiency surveys, validation studies and
other duties as assigned.
- BS degree with MLS or MT preferred. Certifications, education,
and/or experience must meet CLIA requirements for moderate and high
complexity testing. Instrumentation experience preferred
(QuantStudio 6 Pro Real-Time PCR System, SmartStart Orientation (94
and 384 plate capabilities) along with a Kingfisher robotic
extraction apparatus and QiaAgility liquid handling system; Roche
- At least 1-3 years of related experience
- Licensure/Certification Preferred
Medical Technologist (ASCP) credentialed from the American Society
for Clinical Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC). Medical
Lab Scientist (ASCP) credentialed from the American Society for
Clinical Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC).
Medical Tech credentialed from the American Medical Technologists
Medical Tech credentialed from the American Board of Bioanalysis
This position is classified as Exempt
with a salary grade of
For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional
Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when
submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is
Sep 7 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Oct 7 2021 Eastern Daylight Time