- San Jose State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Sep 9, 2021
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Under general supervision, and in accordance with scheduled and periodic instruction, this position is primarily responsible for the general maintenance, repairs, and modification of the campus irrigation systems, ensuring a clean, safe and attractive learning environment. The position makes decisions based upon sound irrigation, landscape and grounds maintenance practice. Researches and recommends supplies/materials and landscape design for an area of responsibility.
The Grounds unit of Facilities Development & Operations provides services to a University campus spread across nine sites comprised of +150 acres, 81 buildings, and more than seven million gross square feet. Maintenance & Operations employs approximately 250 full-time permanent staff and up to an additional nine part-time, seasonal, or contract staff. In FY20-21, the assigned operating budget for the unit is $49 million not including funds associated with purchased utilities or maintenance and repair projects.
- Provides oversight and design of systems, installation of irrigation plumbing, controls and associated equipment
- Uses hand and power tools for the completion of excavations, installations, irrigation/drainage repairs, clearing pruning, cutting, debris removal, and general landscape maintenance
- Inspects and troubleshoots irrigation related equipment, systems, and areas to identify problems and needed repairs
- Maintains and operates powered equipment such as leaf blowers, lawn mowers, lawn edgers, line trimmers, pole saws, and reciprocating hedge trimmers for vegetation maintenance, removal and clean up
- Consults and works with other trade workers, as needed, for completion of repairs and needed ground work duties
- Operates utility cart, pick-up truck, power landscape equipment, and ride on sweepers/mowers to maintain landscape, transport tools, personnel, and waste materials
- Operates radio or cellular phone for communication of urgent needs, critical information and status updates
- Records work details in log sheets and keeps time records to assist in completion of documentation
- Reports problems and needed maintenance to be documented and scheduled
- Attends and participates in departmental meetings, trainings and functions
- General knowledge of the kinds of sprinkler control devices and irrigation equipment available on the market; thorough knowledge of the soils conditions of the various areas on campus; thorough knowledge of the climate of the area in which the campus is located; thorough knowledge of the mechanical principles of sprinkler/irrigation systems
- Ability to plan, estimate costs, and install or modify irrigation systems for particular areas of the campus; ability to repair and maintain existing irrigation systems; ability to perform strenuous physical work; mechanical aptitude and motor coordination; ability to use a variety of hand and power tools; ability to learn to operate skillfully small trucks and power-driven grounds equipment, i.e., small trench diggers; ability to direct the work of others; ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position; ability to follow simple oral and written instructions
- Ability to interface positively with co-workers, students, staff and faculty
- Ability to perform all work activities in a safe manner utilizing safety guidelines and equipment
- A valid California Driver’s License is required at time of hire for the operation of any vehicle required for this position
- Must be able to successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for CSU campuses and pass the course exam
- Must be able to accommodate a work schedule that varies according to operational needs and may include evening and weekend hours
Two years of experience in the care and maintenance of landscaped areas or general grounds, with one year in the maintenance, repair, or modification of irrigation systems and irrigation equipment.
- Five years in golf course maintenance
- Two years in golf course irrigation operation and repair
- Possession of the following License: Qualified Applicators License, California Department of Pesticide Regulation (DPR)
Classification: Irrigation Specialist
Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,700/month - $4,400/month
Salary Range: $2,990/month - $5,404/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: March 03, 2023 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert