Fairfield University is a co-educational, comprehensive Jesuit
university with a 200-acre campus located along the scenic
shoreline community of Fairfield, CT. The University is comprised
of approximately 3,500 undergraduate and 1,200 graduate students
pursuing degrees within 5 schools: The College of Arts and
Sciences, The Charles F. Dolan School of Business, The School of
Engineering, The Marion Peckham Egan School of Nursing and Health
Studies, and School of Education and Human Development. As an
expression of our Jesuit, Catholic mission and identity, Fairfield
embraces a liberal humanistic approach to education, encouraging
critical thinking, cultivating free and open inquiry, and fostering
ethical and religious values.
DEPARTMENT: Facilities Management Department
BASIC FUNCTION: Performs routine repairs and provides
preventative maintenance on all heating, ventilating and air
conditioning equipment; possesses familiarity with and ability to
read electrical and mechanical drawings and is familiar with low
voltage controls, motor controls and DDC controls; responsible for
the cleanliness and safety of equipment in designated buildings;
completes documentation; provides backup support and interacts with
UNUSUAL WORK CONDITIONS: Work on roofs and climb ladders.
Must be available for emergency call-ins. Must operate a motor
vehicle. Capable of working alone and able to lift reasonable
amounts of weight with no physical restrictions; must cover any
shift due to vacation and/or illness.
There are 3 openings. Scheduled days of work – Monday, Tuesday,
Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday / scheduled days off Thursday, Friday;
followed by scheduled days of work Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday,
Thursday, Friday / scheduled days off Saturday, Sunday.
2nd shift is 4:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
3rd shift is 12:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL NEEDED:
EDUCATION : High School diploma, some trade school
preferred. Connecticut State HVAC license required D2.
EXPERIENCE : Experience in a systems-oriented
environment with some limited exposure to servicing; familiarity
with tools and instruments related to HVAC industry. Demonstrated
knowledge of electrical techniques; ability to read floor plans
etc. Possession of EPA, OSHA or state licenses or certifications is
desirable. Must have a valid State of Connecticut driver’s license
in good standing and be in good physical condition.
REPORTS TO: Supervisor HVAC, Controls
1. To perform routine repairs and provide preventative
on all heating, ventilating and air conditioning equipment located
buildings, dormitories, townhouses, apartment complex and the
Utilities Facilities complex. This involves:
- maintaining air handling units with filter replacements,
pneumatic controls, exhaust fans, etc.
- familiarity with and ability to read electrical and
- familiarity with low voltage controls and motor controls;
with DDC controls (e.g., Alterton and Carrier Comfortworks),
- ensuring the adequate operation, temperature, pressure and
- notifying supervisor of any abnormal pressures and
- interacting with contractors as needed.
2. Assist on installations of new or repaired equipment utilizing
knowledge of electrical and mechanical techniques.
3. To be responsible for the cleanliness and safety of equipment
4. To complete appropriate documentation. This involves:
- assessing and completing requisitions on supplies needed
- maintaining and logging accurate records on malfunctions
5. To provide backup support if the Manager of Energy Services,
Systems Control Supervisor and Assistant Operations Supervisor are
6. To interact with the Assistant Operations Supervisor and Plant
Control Supervisor on major equipment problems and
7. To participate in the growth and development of the department.
- participating in regularly scheduled staff meetings and
seminars as needed,
- promoting an image of efficiency and courtesy throughout
university community and consistent with the department’s
- providing recommendations on system modifications,
policies and procedures.
8. To promote safe and secure working conditions. This
- promoting the proper utilization of equipment and
- reporting immediately to supervisor any unsafe working
9. To perform other related duties as dictated or directed by
Duties may be changed and/or be added at any time.
This position is based at Fairfield University’s Fairfield, CT
40 hours a week at $32.00 hourly
The above information on this description has been designed to
general nature and level of work performed by employees within
classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as
a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and
qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Facilities - Union
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory
Fairfield University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and, in this
spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of
color, Veterans, and members of historically underrepresented
groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to
all qualified individuals with a disability.
Load a resume or CV first, then upload supporting documents
including a cover letter at the bottom of the third page under the
"My Experience" section where it says to upload a Resume/CV.
You will be able to upload up to 5 other documents in this section.
You will be unable to edit your application, so please have all
documents available before applying. Faculty Positions : If
you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine
them to upload or email the additional documents to the applicable
contact in the job description. Staff positions : If you
need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to
upload or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org