Hofstra University seeks a highly accomplished scholar, researcher and strategic leader to serve as the Provost and Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs. Reporting to the President, the Provost is the University’s chief academic officer, responsible for setting Hofstra’s academic vision and priorities and driving excellence across Hofstra’s educational and research programs. This is an opportunity to partner with Hofstra’s new President, Dr. Susan Poser, and the senior management team in leading a university embarking on an exciting and ambitious new chapter. The next Provost of Hofstra will work hand-in-hand with the President in developing and executing the University’s mission and strategy, including growth of the research and scholarly enterprise and representing Hofstra to the Board of Trustees and external constituents.
The Provost provides leadership for the planning, development, implementation, assessment, and improvement of all academic and research programs, policies, budget, and supporting infrastructure. The Provost is responsible for ensuring the University’s academic excellence by facilitating faculty and dean recruitment and retention and University-level review of all tenure and promotion actions.
The Provost’s portfolio includes oversight of 12 schools and colleges, plus its libraries, not including the medical school, which reports to the President. The Provost chairs the University Senate and oversees relations with the faculty union. The Provost has management oversight of more than 1,100 faculty and collaborates with other campus leaders on a wide range of strategic and operational issues, with significant influence over University strategy and budget.
The search committee will be considering candidates with the following experience:
• Strong scholarly credentials. Candidates must possess a terminal degree, preferably an earned doctorate, a distinguished academic record, and qualifications to attain tenure as a full professor.
• Deep appreciation for research and scholarship.
• Strong academic and administrative leadership experience overseeing a complex organization, preferably at a research university.
• Proven financial and operational acumen in setting priorities, initiating and executing creative strategies, and allocating resources.
• Demonstrated experience successfully supporting and advocating for the core institutional values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Record of attracting, mentoring, and retaining a team of exceptionally talented academic leaders.
• Collaborative and transparent leadership committed to the importance of disciplinary strength as well as innovative interdisciplinary efforts.
• An authentic, engaging interpersonal style that values and thrives on interacting with faculty members across diverse academic units, students at all stages of their educational journey, administrators, staff, alumni, the Board of Trustees, and external constituents.
For more information about Hofstra University and the Provost search, please visit: hofstra.edu/provostsearch.
Hofstra University is being assisted in this recruitment process by the international leadership advisory firm Spencer Stuart and welcomes comments, nominations, or expressions of interest. If you wish to submit general comments or to nominate someone to serve as the next Provost of Hofstra University, please use the form available on www.hofstra.edu/provostsearch. If you would like to apply, please submit a CV and a letter of interest, with any supporting materials, to: HofstraProvost@spencerstuart.com.
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty, administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.