Located on two campuses totaling 95 acres in beautiful,
Sarasota, Florida, The Out-of-Door Academy (ODA) is an independent,
coeducational, college preparatory day school serving 800 students
in pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade. At Out-of-Door, students
are happy, engaged, and excited about their academic, artistic,
athletic, and personal growth. A talented and dedicated faculty
challenge students to reach their full potential while providing a
high level of individual guidance and support. The school’s
rigorous and innovative academic program ensures that learning is
both meaningful and lasting. Robust offerings in the arts,
athletics and service learning enrich the ODA experience and
provide opportunities for students to discover and develop their
unique interests and talents. Graduates leave Out-of-Door not only
academically prepared but also with the strength of character and
passion for learning that provide a strong foundation for future
success in higher education and in life. Out-of-Door’s core
values: Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence, and
Responsibility are the foundation of our school
Out-of-Door was founded on Siesta Key in 1924 to serve students
in pre-kindergarten through eighth grade. In 1996, a second campus
in the Lakewood Ranch area of Sarasota was acquired to accommodate
the addition of an upper school. Both campuses have evolved and
developed to meet the needs of a growing enrollment as well as to
enhance and enrich the experience of every student at ODA.
Today, the five-acre Siesta Key campus is home to the Lower School
(PK-5), and the 90-acre Uihlein Campus in Lakewood Ranch houses
both the Middle and Upper Schools. Facilities include interactive
technology in every classroom, a fine and performing arts center
with a black box theater, a student and STEM Center, a competition
gymnasium with a wellness center, a field house, a lighted stadium,
tennis courts and a practice complex. A new Middle School campus
was recently completed and opened in August, 2020.
The Out-of-Door Academy seeks a Director of
Development to join a thriving school during a
continued period of programmatic growth and enhancement. The
successful candidate will help foster a strong culture of
philanthropy in the school community, will utilize a data driven,
donor centered approach to philanthropy, will seek opportunities
for long term engagement for donors and prospects and will
strategically convey the School’s mission and philanthropic
priorities to selected constituents.
Reporting to the Head of School, the Director of
Development will be responsible for the
- Planning and executing the Annual Fund campaign, annual gala
and other fundraising initiatives and cultivation/recognition
- Managing a portfolio of donor prospects for cultivation,
solicitation, and stewardship.
- Preparing written donor communications including personal
letters, emails, social media, and printed publications.
- Researching, implementing and managing appropriate online
fundraising platforms to best meet the needs of the School’s
- Preparing projections and accurate reports, preferably with
experience utilizing Raiser’s Edge and/or RE NXT.
- Leveraging cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
strategies to position the school as a community asset.
- Managing volunteers effectively for long-term engagement.
- Live the school’s mission and core values of respect,
integrity, service, excellence, and responsibility.
Experience, Skills & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree is required; advanced degree in a related
field is preferred.
- At least ten (10) years of fundraising, leadership and external
relations experience, ideally in an independent school, college or
- A proven track record of relationship-based fundraising with an
intentional focus on cultivation, stewardship, and building
personal relationships with philanthropists and donors.
- Demonstrated experience of leading, implementing, and
integrating a full range of development programs, including annual
fundraising campaigns and initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience in cultivating and securing major
- Keen attention to detail and the ability to maintain discretion
with respect to confidential information is essential.
- Must possess strong communication and organizational skills;
must possess a successful track record of working effectively with
a wide range of constituencies including students, faculty, staff,
parents, trustees, alumni, donors and potential donors.
- Mastery of a relational database such as Raiser’s Edge and/or
RE NXT; Proficient with technology including Word, Excel and the
Google drive platform.
- An honest person who will live the school’s values and who
effectively blends candor, care, and empathy in dealing with
others, and whose style is rooted in honesty, transparency and
- A thoughtful individual who embraces managed risk-taking and
experimenting with new ideas, and is excited by the opportunity to
help a well-established and thriving independent school reach new
levels of success.
- A flexible, open-minded individual who is comfortable with
ambiguity, sees the “grays” rather than simply the “black and
white” of various issues, and possesses the courage to follow
through on his or her beliefs and convictions.
- An approachable, collaborative professional, who values
teamwork, builds meaningful relationships, listens well, and
respects differences of opinion.
- A thinker who possesses excellent communication skills and a
high level of emotional intelligence.
- A hard-working professional who thrives in a fast-paced work
environment with high expectations.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a 12-month full-time exempt position beginning as soon
as possible. Compensation is highly competitive and commensurate
with experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
At Out-of-Door, we value a diverse workforce. Applicants of any
race, creed, physical ability, color, religion, sex, age, gender,
sexual orientation or national origin are encouraged to apply. Once
an offer is accepted, the position will require the successful
completion of a national background screening and drug testing.