Research Scientist , Computer Science I
Computer Science I
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Conducting experimental and computational research in the real world using ASSISTments
A Research Scientist position is available at Worcester Polytechnic Institute to bridge practical real-world education and scientific research on learning, being advised by Professor Neil Heffernan. Dr. Heffernan and his team have been funded by the NSF to help dozens of researchers to use the E-TRIALS Testbed as a shared scientific instrument, and we want someone to be a part of that mission.
ASSISTments is a platform that combines large-scale online education (like Khan Academy & MOOCs) with technology for rigorous scientific research using randomized experiments and data mining.
The applicant must have a Ph.D. by the start of the position in education, psychology, computer science, information science or a related field. The initial appointment is for one year, renewable based on mutual interest and continued funding. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
To apply submit, Letter of Interest, CV, Research Statement, Teaching Statement and List of References
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct a range of interdisciplinary research across education, psychology, human-computer interaction, data mining and machine learning.
- Support, systematize, and guide platform engineering for the process of having external researchers from multiple disciplines conduct research within ASSISTments.
- Propose randomized controlled trials to be run in ASSISTments problem sets, developing assessments, data mining, and using machine learning and “ MOOClets ” to optimally transition from randomized experiments to maximizing and adaptively personalizing student learning.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Worcester
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Worcester
- Instructional Technology & Design Not specified Full Time jobs in Worcester
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Worcester
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Worcester