Community College of Philadelphia
Reporting directly to the Manager, Institute for Community
Engagement and Civic Leadership (the Institute) and working closely
with the Center for Male Engagement leadership team, the Community
Engagement Specialist provides a broad range of services in support
of initiatives for the Institute for Community Engagement and Civic
Leadership. This position participates in the implementation of
services and activities that foster community engagement, learning
and development of civic leadership skills, with a particular focus
on supporting students served by the College's initiatives engaging
male students of color. The Specialist serves as the liaison for
students, faculty, and community agencies to promote and facilitate
service-learning, volunteer initiatives, and other civic engagement
- Serve as a resource for faculty, students, and support offices
to coordinate service learning and civic engagement programming on
- Support relationships and affiliations with community partners
to promote and facilitate community outreach and engagement,
service-learning, volunteerism, and any/all other civic engagement
- Coordinate and execute Community Engagement and Civic
Leadership initiatives and events based on department goals and
- Under the direction of Manager, Institute for Community
Engagement and Civic Leadership and in consultation with the Center
for Male Engagement leadership team, develop and implement
strategies to increase college-wide community engagement,
particularly for male students of color, that are aligned to the
mission and vision of the Institute and the College's community
engagement and partnership priorities.
- Coordinate and execute the logistics for Institute signature
programs such as the Adopt-A-School program, #CCPVotes and Martin
Luther King Day of Service.
- Recruit students to serve as Adopt-A-School Work Study Tutors,
and place students at service opportunities within our
Adopt-A-School Partner Schools.
- Participate on the Martin Luther King Day of Service planning
committee and lead the annual event.
- Ensure the College community engages with voter registration,
education and engagement efforts through the #CCPVotes
- Support the work of the College Volunteer Program including,
but not limited to recruitment, marketing, training and
- Support the creation and recruitment of service opportunities
linked to community youth sports.
- Serve as lead for on-campus service days and volunteer
recruitment at regional centers.
- Serve as a single point of contact for students with experience
in the Foster Care System and students experiencing homelessness
and housing insecurity.
- Support students with obtaining required clearances for
- Administer proof of service documents, volunteer and event
feedback and experience surveys, etc.
- Provide direct event support by way of event promotion, event
set up and break down, coordinating registration process and guest
relations activities for all Institute events.
- Compose and send event invitations and "thank you"
correspondence post events.
- Serve on annual review committees for Institute-specific
scholarship opportunities such as the Maggie Powell Community
Leadership Transfer Scholarship.
- Deliver quality customer services to both internal and external
constituents in a professional helpful and courteous manner.
- Manage Institute email inbox.
- Assist in the collection and reporting of program data;
ensuring all required and requested Institute reports needs are
- Maintain, monitor and update Institute files and databases
(i.e., sign-in sheets, records of activities, event planning
- Responsible for all other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree is required. Any and all degrees must be from
a recognized institutional accreditor.
- At least two (2) years of related work experience in community
engagement activities that demonstrate the skills and abilities
necessary to perform duties of the position required.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate well with others
- Ability to take the initiative and prioritize effectively is
- Ability to maintain sensitivity, understanding and respect for
a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and
staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, and
ethnic backgrounds required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office is preferred.
- Previous experience working in higher education is
- Experience updating website content and knowledge of website
design is preferred.
Special Instructions to Applicants
*****ALL FACULTY AND STAFF WILL BE REQUIRED TO BE FULLY VACCINATED
AGAINST COVID-19 BY OCTOBER 1, 2021*****
Interested persons should complete an online
Cover letter of interest and resume
* Review of applications will commence on September 17, 2021 and
will continue until the position is filled.
*Names and contact information of 3 professional references
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. Community
College of Philadelphia is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity
and Equal Access Employer. The College encourages applications from
individuals from traditionally underrepresented groups.
Salary Grade or Rank
Salary commensurate with relevant work experience
Job Posting Open Date
Type of Position
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about Community College of Philadelphia?
- The Chronicle
- Veterans Job Fair
- Professional & Technology Diversity Career Fair
- AL DIA - Diversity Career Fair
- Community College of Philadelphia Website
- * If your answer to the above question is Other, please note
the source below. If this question does not apply to you, enter
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is the highest level of education you have completed?
- No Response
- High School/GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- * Do you have two (2) years of related work experience in
community engagement activities that demonstrate the skills and
abilities to perform the duties of the position?
- * Do you have previous work experience in higher education?
- * Are you proficient using Microsoft Office?
- * Do you have experience updating website content and knowledge
of website design?
Documents Needed to ApplyRequired Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application