Assistant Professor of Practice, Data Science
Primary Purpose and Essential Functions:
This is a faculty position that will be responsible for developing
and delivering a range of lecture content for the M.S. in Data
Science program (housed on Pacific's San Francisco campus). The
faculty member will report to the Director of the M.S. in Data
Science program at the University of Pacific's Stockton
Essential Functions (In order of importance):
- Teaching: development and delivery of key M.S. Data Science
courses (lectures), in areas such as: Machine learning, Data
visualization, Storytelling with data, Data engineering, and
Applications of data science.
- Oversee M.S. Data Science Capstone project teams, support, and
grow Capstone program.
- Assist the M.S. Data Science program director in the ongoing
development and evolution of the M.S. Data Science
- Assist development and growth of other data-related departments
and units across the university, including M.S. Business Analytics
and undergraduate programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of PhD in relevant field.
• Two or more (2+) years of university level teaching.
• Knowledge and experience in machine learning.
• Excellent lecture / presentation skills.
• Ability to work in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment with
cross-functional teams and multiple stakeholders.
• Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with
diverse populations and commitment to promote diversity and
• Expertise/experience with data visualization techniques and
• Certification in data science areas, such as Tableau, AWS,
Google, DASCA, Tensorflow, etc.
The physical demands described here are representative but not
definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully
perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
Requires extended periods of sitting and repetitive hand/wrist
motion while using computer keyboard and phone. Occasional
standing, walking, climbing stairs, bending, stooping and reaching.
Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel:
Work is primarily performed in a standard office environment with
use of computer and phone. Occasional travel between San Francisco
and Stockton locations will be required. Travel to meet with
industry partners/stakeholders will be necessary.
Valid driver’s license required. Incumbent must also be able to
meet the University’s fleet rules and be eligible to drive for
University business. The University’s insurance carrier reserves
the right to exclude applicants based on their driving
For first consideration, please apply on or before June 15,
To apply, visit https://pacific.peopleadmin.com/postings/19140
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal
opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In
compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is
committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff
and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in
the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff
on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry,
age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and
veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy,
gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical