Pool - OMT Lab Assistant (Hourly / Casual)
This Hourly Hiring Pool represents current or potential hourly
non-benefited job openings in this employment category. There is no
guarantee of employment from this hiring pool. Positions are not
benefited. Hours and schedules vary.
Technical Assistant Level III - Casual Employment.
Wage will be determined based on qualifications (education and
credentialing) and experience. The employee can work up to 599
hours per fiscal year.
Position Requirements and Responsibilities
- Must COT level credentialed, with at least two years of
experience in the specialty or comparable training/education
- Must be able to perform all duties of a Certified Ophthalmic
Technician including: taking an ocular and medical history, basic
assessment such as visual acuity, retinoscopy, refractometry,
keratometry, tonometry, ocular motility, pupil assessment, A/C
angle assessment, visual fields, and a variety of other diagnostic
tests including OCT’s, biometry, fundus photography and
ultrasonography. Must be familiar with surgical assisting
procedures and contact lens fitting techniques.
- Perform basic ophthalmic equipment care and maintenance
- Follow all OMT Program and college rules and policies including
FERPA and OSHA regulations
- Maintain safety and integrity of the laboratory environment and
report any injuries or unsafe behaviors
- Evaluate and grade student pre-lab workbooks, laboratory
assignments and work product
- Support faculty by restocking laboratory supplies and
- Promote professionalism by modeling professional behaviors
including punctuality, respectful communications, and
- Create a supportive environment, constructive, and engaging
student learning environment
- Identify at risk students; provide extra support, guidance, and
- Strong oral and written communication and the ability to work
well with others
Portland Community College complies with the Oregon Veterans'
Preference in Public Employment law which provides qualifying
veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment.
You will be given instructions during the application process
to claim Veterans' Preference in the recruitment of this position,
and to provide the documents required for verification of
Please do not send your documentation to the
hiring manager directly.
For verification of eligibility, please submit the following
Portland Community College is committed to hiring and retaining
a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making
decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any
other protected class.
Portland Community College will hire only United States
citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United
States. All new employees will be required to complete the
designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9
- Veterans: DD214
- Disabled Veterans: DD214 and Letter from the Department