POSITION TITLE: LAB ASSISTANT
STATUS: Part time
DEPARTMENT: Culinary Arts/City Center Campus
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
UNION: Support and Technical
REPORTS TO: Department Chair
PLACEMENT: Support staff, grade 2
MINIMUM PAY RATE: $12.00 per hour
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity,
gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an
AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates
who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
Responsible for assisting instructional faculty and students,
aiding in recruitment efforts and providing support in the
operation and monitoring of lab processes, equipment and activities
in the Culinary Arts Management Program.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Meet with instructor to discuss any special needs for that day’s
2. Assist students with menu production and supervision of product
3. Monitor students to ensure they are following proper recipes,
cooking procedures, baking practices, and service skills where
4. Continually monitor sanitation practices of students.
5. Inform chef instructor of any wrongdoing by students or if
students disappear from lab setting.
6. Monitor all storage and food production areas to ensure that
students put products away and store them properly. Inform chef
instructor of a destruction and/or waste of product by
7. Assist students with proper knife skills, terminology and
8. Maintain a positive attitude towards students to foster a
9. Assist with Chef for a Day visiting students, recruitment
efforts and high school/career fair presentations.
10. Fill in as a teacher assistant when needed.
11. Assist with instruction of daily cooking and food production
12. Assist with supervision of student workers as necessary.
13. Perform final inspection of individual student work area and
dismiss students at the end of each class once all food production
and classroom food spaces have been cleaned and sanitized.
14. Ensure operation is in good condition for health department
inspections of student food production areas.
15. Work with the instructor to inventory all products and prepare
orders for all food and non-food supplies needed for each
16. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective
working relationships with other members of the college and
community, displaying cultural competence as well as emotional
17. Develop and maintain production sheets for each
18. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. One (1) year of culinary arts lab work completed with a grade of
“B” or better.
2. Ability to communicate effectively with students/faculty and
3. Self motivated, patience, common sense, problem solving ability
and a willingness to accept responsibility.
4. Recommendation from chef/lab instructor for position of lab
5. Must be able to work flexible hours during scheduled lab
1. English and Spanish verbal and written communication
2. Demonstrated multicultural competence.
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):
28 For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.