Human Resources Business Partner
Harold Washington College at 30 E. Lake Street
Reporting to the College President, the Human Resources (HR)
Business Partner is the primary point of contact on all HR matters
at a college campus, partnering with senior leaders and managers to
effectively integrate HR expertise into the college’s business
process, with a focus on building organizational / HR capabilities
and influencing organizational changes in alignment with the
college’s strategic goals. Performs related duties.
- Develops, coordinates and delivers effective HR programs and
services to campus staff and faculty employees in the areas of
onboarding, learning and organizational development, workforce
planning, performance management, policy implementation, and union
and employee relations.
- Collaborates with District Office leadership team
(Compensation, Benefits, Talent Acquisition, Performance
Management, Labor Relations, Employee Services and HRIS) and
oversees strategic initiatives connected to the college to ensure
cohesive delivery of HR services.
- Partners with Talent Acquisition staff to execute recruitment
and talent management strategies to attract, develop, engage, and
retain a skilled and effective workforce.
- Provides strategic and consultative services to college
leadership relating to workforce issues that impact operations,
working with District HR leadership team to provide technical
expertise and deliver sound HR solutions.
- Partners with senior managers to understand business operations
and challenges in meeting objectives and actively promotes HR
initiatives to drive the improvement of business operations forward
in line with the college’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Coaches and advises managers in HR areas to include employee
relations, union grievances, adherence to collective bargaining
agreements and Board policies, performance management and talent
- Supervises a Human Resource Specialist engaged in implementing
HR programs, delivering HR services and processing HR
- Provides tactical and strategic guidance to managers and
supervisors on best practices for addressing employee relations
matters including handling disciplinary actions, terminations,
union grievances, progressive discipline. and conflict
- Facilitates the implementation of the performance management
program, providing coaching and guidance to managers, reviewing
completed appraisals, and working with managers on creating and
implementing performance improvement plans.
- Advises, counsels, and guides managers and administrators on HR
policies, procedures and best practices and compliance with federal
and state employment laws and regulations
Directly Supervises: Human Resources Specialist
Education, Training and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in
Human Resources, Business, or a related field.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Five years of work experience as a HR Generalist and/or HR
- PHR/SPHR or SHRM-CP/SCP preferred
- Experience in developing and implementing HR strategies
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and build
strong partnerships with senior leaders
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and providing leadership
in meeting the HR objectives of the organization
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft and other HRMS, a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel,
WE OFFER: Excellent health and welfare benefit package and long
term savings and investment programs including 403(b) & 457(b)
Investment Plans and a pension plan with the State University
Retirement System (SURS) Plan. Generous vacation, holiday, personal
and sick days, and tuition reimbursement. For a more detailed
overview of benefits, please visit the benefits page of our
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within 6
months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Thank
you for your interest in City College of Chicago!