Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work,
learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great
College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty,
staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that
is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests
of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go
in your career, you can get there from here!
The Office Associate V is responsible for scheduling all
noncredit classes and events held on main campus for the Continuing
Education & Workforce Development Division. The Office
Associate V works with the Director of Academic Scheduling and
other college room scheduling managers to acquire additional
classroom space. This position is also responsible for assisting
the Noncredit Financial Aid Officer in processing awards. Attention
to detail and excellent time management skills is essential for
- Utilizes Astra Schedule for academic and event scheduling and
report production for the CEWD Division.
- Coordinates the scheduling of classrooms in the CEWD region
consisting of 16 lecture classrooms, 5 computer lab classrooms, and
1Allied Health Lab and Nursing Lecture classroom in HW 122
- Acts as lead liaison for CEWD with Director of Academic
Scheduling and AIS regarding the continuous monitoring of data
integrity and trouble-shooting of issues identified between
Colleague and Ad Astra, reporting and following up on all
discrepancies as noted. Participates in all training and testing of
new versions of Astra Scheduling system as introduced, reporting
findings to AIS for follow up with Ad Astra company
- Organizes bulk scheduling each term to correspond with
Colleague data entry deadlines as outlined on CEWD Noncredit
Brochure Production Schedule, as well as division priorities.
- Reviews and monitors course section data transferred from
Colleague to Astra Schedule each term for obvious coding errors and
data integrity, confirms information in Colleague and works closely
with unit staff and operations analyst to make necessary
corrections or changes.
- Anticipates and targets potential room availability through
continuous scanning and monitoring of course enrollments in Astra
Schedule of noncredit and credit course sections as registrations
are in progress.
- Monitors Colleague cancellation reports to verify actual
classroom openings and checks Astra prior to scheduling a new
course section or submitting requests for room use to other
- Manages scheduling requests received from credit division staff
and other departments for use of CEWD regional classroom space as
available for course sections, final exams and professional
development, and provides confirmation in a timely manner.
- Oversees scheduling and use of mobile laptop carts with
printers within lecture classrooms. Works closely with Student
Computer Support techs to quickly report any issues and set up
routine maintenance/repair of equipment. Maintains key/passcode and
sign-in sheet for laptop cart use along with the updating of
informational signage posted on carts for instructors/staff.
- Monitors classroom status each term to assure correct seating
count to coincide with the Astra room maximum capacities.
- Creates and posts notification signage for holidays, closings,
classroom switches, special events, testing and renovations as
- Assists with all aspects to support noncredit financial aid in
determining student eligibility, including evaluation, online
processing, related record keeping, and student notification.
- Counsels and assists prospective and currently enrolled
students on the application process and eligibility for noncredit
- Reviews, corrects and certifies all file information for
disbursement of awards and ensures that all student information
entered into the noncredit financial aid database is accurate.
- Works with other campus units, such as, but not limited to
Finance, Continuing Education Units, and Career Links to resolve
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Completion of AA Degree.
- A minimum of three years of office-related work
- Possesses complete knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and
operating system (Windows, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and
- Experience with scheduling programs such as Astra Schedule is
- Experience with academic enterprise systems such as Colleague,
Banner, and People Soft preferred.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in
- Regular attendance is a requirement of this job.
- Working some evenings and occasional weekends required during
- Ability to resolve problems within scope of authority and work
with minimum supervision.
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm; some evenings
required during onsite registrations.
Compensation: $19.04/hr ($37,271/yearly)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Close Date: September 13, 2021
Best Consideration: September 13, 2021
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition
As a participating member of the Maryland Retirement and Pension
System, HCC offers two retirement options: The Pension, which
requires a 7% employee contribution and The ORP, a 403(b) with a
7.25% employer contribution only. Employees in positions that do
not require a bachelor's degree must participate in The Pension.
Employees that possess a bachelor's degree and hold professional
positions that require a bachelor's degree may choose to
participate in either The Pension or The ORP.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment
Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values
diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age,
gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information,
disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need
assistance with the job application process and/or with the
interview process. For confidential assistance with the job
application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources
HCC is interested in all qualified applicants who are eligible
to work in the United States. However, HCC will generally not
sponsor applicants for work visas. Due to our telework policy, only
employees living in states contiguous to Maryland are eligible for
telework and include Virginia, West Virginia, Washington DC,
Pennsylvania. Candidates must live in the commutable area or
willing to relocate at their own expense if offered the position
because HCC does not offer relocation benefits.
Please submit the following:
- Completed Application (Candidates will be evaluated on
completing the college's application in full)
- Cover Letter