Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal
arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the
racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body.
The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational
experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty,
administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Editorial Director
position. The Editorial Director is a full-time, year-round
position, starting at $115,000 per year - commensurate with
experience. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse
liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will
demonstrate the ways in which they bring value to and will work
towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
The Editorial Director manages the editorial operation of Amherst
College's Communications division and is directly responsible for
the production of Amherst's signature and most widely read
publication, Amherst magazine, as well as the editorial content of
the College's website. The Editorial Director also serves as a
member of the division's senior leadership team.
The Editorial Director plays an instrumental role in developing
effective communications consistent with the College's strategic
communications plan that serve the mission of the institution.
Reporting to the Chief Communications Officer and working with
highly motivated and highly collaborative colleagues, the Editorial
Director supervises a senior editor and associate editor and other
freelance individuals, as necessary, connected to these and other
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Manage the production of Amherst magazine, a quarterly
periodical with a circulation of 25,000, from conception through
mailing. This includes conceiving, assigning, writing, editing and
otherwise managing 96-112 pages per quarter.
- Manage the magazine's budget.
- Identify and develop relationships with freelance
- Manage the process of producing the editorial content of the
Communications division, including developing the editorial
strategy and guidelines for that content and making final editorial
- Ensure the College's comprehensive communications strategy is
effectively deployed through digital and print formats and
capitalizes on effective writing, design and contemporary media to
engage and inspire College audiences.
- Consistently promote and reinforce the importance of working
creatively, strategically and efficiently to the editorial
- Run weekly editorial meeting (attended by staff from all key
communications functions, as well as communications colleagues from
Advancement and Admission).
- Ensure that print and digital communications are of the highest
professional quality: well-organized, compelling, cohesive and
lively, with elegant writing consistent with the mission of Amherst
College and its communications strategy.
- Apply an interest in the latest developments in communications
strategies and tools, especially those related to periodical
publishing and online content, to ensure that related investments
provide the most significant return to Amherst's communications
- Working with the Director of Digital Communications, develop,
manage and implement a strategy for the creation, revision, editing
and maintenance of the content of all pages on the College's
- Manage, with Advancement colleagues, the content of eNews, the
bi-weekly e-newsletter distributed to 25,000 students, faculty,
staff, families and alumni.
- Help inform and shape the creation of and regular updates to
the College communications strategy.
- Partner with the Associate Chief Communications Officer and
others to develop a regular data analysis report for the
- Supervise a senior editor and associate editor in the
- Manage the work of external vendors, including the magazine's
design director, as well as freelancers.
- Actively participate in weekly meetings with Communications'
senior leadership team as a member of that team.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- 15 years of experience managing, editing and writing for print
or online magazines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. including
speaking and writing clearly and persuasively, proven ability to
communicate effectively with knowledgeable staff, and demonstrated
experience in writing and editing online and printed
- Demonstrated creative abilities.
- Demonstrated collaborative abilities.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills, including
demonstrated ability to set, meet and enforce deadlines and proven
ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Proven exceptional attention to detail.
- Interest in emerging web and related technologies, including
relevant analytic tools.
- Proven budget-management skills.
- Proven problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency with Adobe InCopy, Google Suite and Microsoft
Office, and comfortable with Adobe InDesign.
- Work outside normal business hours, including evenings and
weekends, as required.
- Commitment to working with a diverse and inclusive
- Experience editing and writing for college or university print
and online publications.
- Experience managing digital and print designers and related
freelancers and vendors.
- Experience working closely with videographers and photographers
and related freelancers and vendors.
Amherst College offers many opportunities for professional growth
and development, continued learning, and career advancement.
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly
competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and
faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our
overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the
options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements.
Click here for Benefits
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter
online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs
Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to
clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once
submitted. (Current employees and students should apply
by clicking on the Career icon from their Workday home screen)
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue
until the position is filled.
To apply, visit https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Amherst_Jobs/job/Amherst-Campus/Editorial-Director_JR4554