Assistant, Administrative, Career Education & Training
The administrative assistant provides a wide variety of
administrative and support functions for the Career Education and
Training department. The administrative assistant will at times
work independently by taking initiative to ensure efficient daily
operations, collaborates with a wide range of internal and external
college constituencies to support the unit effectively.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
prepare payroll, create contracts, assist with purchasing
processes, perform word processing/data entry, duplicate materials,
maintain files and critical records, answer/assess telephone
inquiries, prepare correspondence, schedule meetings and tasks,
arrange travel, assist with budget management, and record meeting
- Provide administrative support for Career Education and
Training ( CET ) department.
- Coordinate schedules including internal and external
obligations, including coordination and prioritization of daily
appointments and business obligations.
- Arrange meetings: handle communications, travel arrangements,
and the processing of related functions and documents.
- Call processing: The person in this position should be able to
refer incoming calls to the respective employee or department while
ensuring that appropriate calls are referred to the Coordinator
- Provide administrative support to director relative to
committee appointments. Duties include scheduling meetings,
preparing agendas, documenting minutes, and preparing
- Assist in the hiring processes for Workforce and Continuing
Education/Career Education and Training Division by coordinating
- Prepare new hire and separation documents, as well as prepare
payroll for Career Education & Training staff.
- File and retrieve documents and reference materials.
- Support regional accreditation processes and
- Provide exemplary customer service in person, over the phone
and via email. Treat customers with courtesy and respect, showing
concern for their needs, and investigate and resolve concerns
- Help interpret policy for students, parents, and
- Maintain confidentiality of information.
- Maintain budget records: recommend expenditure requests,
monitor expenditures to ensure compliance with approved budget,
recommend and process budget transfers. Assist in developing draft
budget proposals as necessary.
- Perform purchasing functions: research availability and
pricing, assist in developing bid proposals, complete
requisitions/contracts and process invoices for approval.
- Prepare reports and/or presentation materials as required.
- Help coordinate planning unit activities and timely completion
of planning process/documents.
- Ensure all documents that require a signature are promptly
signed and returned to appropriate recipients.
- Provide training and mentoring to other administrative
assistants as needed.
- Develop forms for college wide use.
- Serve on college committees and focus groups.
- Demonstrate and model the college’s employability skills:
adaptability, communication, information processing, problem
solving, responsibility and teamwork.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Dealing with frequent interruptions, answering emails, walk-ins and
internal and external telephone calls.
Working on multiple tasks concurrently while meeting deadlines for
Auditing, Finance, Payroll, Registrar, Human Resources Office,
Auxiliary Services and Campus Police
Coordinator, Director or Deans and other administrative
Associate degree in business administration, Office Management or
related field, or at least four years of related administrative
Bachelor’s degree in business administration, Office Management or
- Two years of related administrative experience and a proven
record of progressively responsible experience in administrative
functions, including evidence of experience in the following areas:
- Thorough knowledge of office practices, procedures and
equipment to include basic accounting practices to track budget and
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products and experience using
word processing, developing spreadsheets, developing presentations,
and using database software applications
- More than 2 years of recent progressively responsible
experience providing administrative support.
- Experience in an academic setting
- Recent experience with an enterprise student information system
- Possess an intermediate knowledge of database programs (e.g.,
Department/Job Specific Requirements
- Ability to create, correct and format documents and
communications. Work experience with word processing, database
software, spreadsheets, presentation and communication software.
Willingness to be continually updated in these skills.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Demonstrate initiative in upgrading skills with professional
- Ability to handle paperwork and confidential information with
discretion and sensitivity.
- Exceptional organizational skills and deadline management with
the ability to prioritize projects and tasks.
- Ability to work efficiently and calmly under pressure.
- Strong verbal skills and personable manner in dealing with the
public in person and on the phone.
- Ability to compose correspondence with correct punctuation and
- Strong proof-reading skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in written
- Punctuality and flexibility in time management.
- Neat, professional appearance and attire.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail is a must.
- Ability to organize and maintain files for ready access.
- Must be willing to work flexible schedules as needed. Will be
in constant contact with public at all times.
- Submit textbook orders.
- Requests course builds/adjustments.
- Ensure that Instructors have necessary course paperwork.
- Submit requests for ITS to post a select group of Occupational
Training courses on our website.
- Travel (local) as needed to meet office, divisional, or college
Physical Activity: Primarily sitting
Environmental Hazard(s): <15%
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed To Apply
Required Documents Optional Documents
- How many years of experience do you have in this type of
- Please describe any previous experience you have working in a
customer service enviornment
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae