Title: Student Retention Specialist - PT
Employee Classification: Part Time Classified/A/P
Department: Campus President
Salary Range: $ 20.41
Who we are:
We are not-for-profit: St. Louis Community college (STLCC)
is a non-profit institution dedicated to empowering students,
expanding minds, and changing lives. Employees are committed to
strengthening the St. Louis community with inclusive and
We are a respected employer: For 60 years, STLCC has served
the St. Louis community, expanding to 4 main campuses, 2 education
centers, 2 workforce training centers, and 5 centers of excellence.
More than one-half of the households in St. Louis have at least one
member who has taken classes at STLCC.
We make an impact in the community: Through credit courses,
continuing education, and workforce development programs, STLCC
annually serves nearly 69,000 students. More than 80% of career and
technical graduates employed in their fields or continue their
education at four-year institutions within six months of
graduation. STLCC sends more transfer students to Missouri’s
four-year colleges/universities than anyone else.
We value Diversity, equity & inclusion: STLCC is
committed to fostering an atmosphere of appreciation for all
people, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin,
ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or
What you get:
Benefits package [for full-time employees]: STLCC offers one
of the best benefit packages in the St. Louis area. As a STLCC
employee you will have access to a 100% match on your contribution
to retirement, two health insurance plans options that are no cost
to the employee - including an HSA option, low-cost life insurance
with a 3x salary benefit, and other low-cost benefits including
dental, vision, AD&D, ST LT disability insurance.
Opportunity to grow: Over half of our employees have served
the college for more than 12 years, exploring different career
paths and advancing to higher level positions.
Education & training opportunities: STLCC offers tuition
waivers for employees [full-time and part-time] + their dependents.
Full-time employees can take advantage of tuition reimbursement for
other institutions after just 6 months of service, and an annual
professional development allotment.
Work/life balance: Full-time STLCC employees have access to
a generous time off package, including holidays, vacation, personal
days, medical leave, and other leave options. Our holiday schedule
even includes a paid winter holiday at the end of the calendar
Commitment to wellness: STLCC HR boasts a dedicated health
and wellness specialist who is enthusiastic about creating a
culture of wellness throughout the College. With access to college
wellness vendors, employees are educated, motivated, and rewarded
for healthy behaviors. STLCC employees and anyone living in their
household also have access to an employee assistance program (EAP)
that can help them with virtually any life need.
The basics of this position:
The Student Retention Specialist will be the designated point of
contact for the Tech Academy members. Duties will include case
management, student support, programming and career support.
What you'll do:
• Provides intrusive, intentional, and proactive case management to
• Adopts STLCC’s Student Success Advising Framework, from entry to
completion, in carrying out appropriate services, resources and
intervention strategies to students.
• Identifies and delivers strategies for assigned students to
enhance their experience and contribute to improved retention,
persistence, and graduation rates for students.
• Educates students on the enrollment process, interpretation of
assessment test scores, standards of academic progress, and
utilization of technology tools.
• Assists in the recruitment of Tech Academy members and
coordinating Tech Academy info Session.
• Educates students on their academic standing and provides advice
on building a plan towards good academic standing.
• Understands and stays abreast of changing institutional policies
and college operating procedures including admissions requirements,
course changes, deadlines, important dates, costs, and state and
• Adopts the appreciative advising approach to optimize
interactions and work with students.
• Plans and conducts successful advising interactions. Accurately
disseminates information in a clear and concise manner, maintains
detailed and accurate records, and provides appropriate referrals
based on the individual needs of the student.
• Provides students with strategies related to academic progress
and work/life/study balance.
• Provides comprehensive academic, and career planning services for
students from entry to completion.
• Serve as a resource and refers students to community and social
support services that can address assistance, they may need to
support their success and completion of degree and/or
• Assists students with the development of short- and long-term
career goals and job search strategies including informational
interviews, resume and interview skills development.
• Facilitates employer recruiting activities such as career/job
fairs, recruiting activities, workshops, and educational
• Assists students in the development of career competencies as
defined by national organizations and/or supplied by advisory
boards/employers for discipline.
• Provides assistance in securing a career in the field related to
their degree and/or certificate.
• Participates in recruitment of students for the programs as
defined by the grant and/or
• Draws upon the services of Student and Academic Affairs units to
assist students in resolving problems.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned
Education, experience, and other requirements:
Bachelor's Degree and (2) years of relevant full-time experience.
Bilingual skills preferred.