Note for Current UM Employees
Current employees must apply internally via connectU >
Definition of Class
This position monitors, analyzes, and detects IT security
vulnerabilities and threats of institutional data, networks, and
systems. The incumbent assists with information security training
and cybersecurity awareness efforts; assesses systems and processes
for compliance, threats, and vulnerabilities; and applies security
best practices to proactively guard against breaches and
Examples of Work Performed
- Reviews appropriate resource scan results and incoming report
data to identify and remediate vulnerabilities.
- Detects and mitigates potential phishing campaigns and
- Represents the department at appropriate security meetings,
conferences, and seminars.
- Responds to audits, surveys, and other inquiries concerning
- Assists with developing reports for general security incident
- Provides guidance that aligns with information security best
practices and UM policy.
- Logs requests, actions taken, and responses in a tracking
- Stays abreast of current information security developments and
- Performs, reviews, and reports results on vulnerability scans
and penetration tests.
- Reports significant security risks and assists with publishing
alerts when required.
- Monitors endpoint security and follows deployment guidelines to
improve security posture.
- Maintains a strong working knowledge of current university
information security policies.
- Performs similar or related duties as assigned or
These essential functions include, but are not limited to, the
following. Additional essential functions may be identified and
included by the hiring Department.
- Monitors, analyzes, and detects security vulnerabilities and
- Responds to incoming requests regarding information
- Assists with security training delivery and endpoint security
configuration, management, and deployment.
- Leverages mitigation procedures to assist with implementation
or provide guidance for information security controls.
High School Diploma / GED
Some experience related to the above described duties
1 year of experience preferred.
To learn more about our pay structure and view our salary ranges,
visit the Compensation page of our Human Resources website. This
link is provided for general pay information. Hourly rate or salary
may vary depending on qualifications, experience, and departmental
budget. Note: Unclassified positions (faculty, executives,
researchers and coaches) do not have established salary
The University of Mississippi provides equal opportunity in any
employment practice, education program, or education activity to
all qualified persons. The University complies with all applicable
laws regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action and does
not unlawfully discriminate against any employee or applicant for
employment based upon race, color, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, citizenship,
national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetic
Interview Requirements: Any candidate who is called for an
interview must notify the Department of Equal
Opportunity/Regulatory Compliance in writing of any reasonable
accommodation needed prior to the date of the interview.
Background Check Statement
The University of Mississippi is committed to providing a safe
campus community. UM conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. Background
investigations include a criminal history record check, and when
appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history