Note for Current UM Employees
Current employees must apply internally via connectU >
Definition of Class
This position provides assistance to the department chair in a
large or complex unit by performing advanced level duties involving
planning, administering, and reporting for the management of the
academic area. The incumbent provides administrative support,
coordinates the daily office operations, arranges meetings and
events, maintains calendars, collects and compiles data, prepares
reports, and assists with oversight of financial operations.
Examples of Work Performed
- Provides administrative support to faculty and staff.
- Coordinates the daily office operations of the academic
- Monitors compliance with departmental policies and
- Maintains departmental budgets and monitors expenditures.
- Prepares summary statements on accounts and estimates of future
expenditures based on accounting history.
- Processes various forms for purchasing, travel authorizations,
student assistantships, employment, etc.
- Coordinates logistics, such as travel, housing, meals, and
hospitality arrangements for special events.
- Schedules and coordinates meetings and activities.
- Completes applications, agreements or other forms, as
- Enters data in databases, compiles data and prepares
- Assigns tasks, determines priority, and monitors progress of
assignments throughout completion.
- Maintains accurate and current records of departmental
inventory, faculty files, student files, annual reports and other
- Updates departmental website and/or social media, as
- Monitors tasks, determines priority and progress of assignments
- May provide supervision and guidance to assigned support
- Performs similar or related duties as assigned or
These essential functions include, but are not limited to, the
following. Additional essential functions may be identified and
included by the hiring department.
- Provides administrative support to the department chair.
- Assists with planning of special programs and events.
- Compiles data and prepares reports.
- Assists with planning and management of budgets.
High School Diploma or equivalent (GED).
Four (4) years of experience related to the above described
Related experience may be substituted for education, on a basis set
forth and approved by the Department of Human Resources.
To learn more about our pay structure and view our salary ranges,
to visit the Compensation page of our Human Resources
website. This link is provided for general pay information. Hourly
rate or salary may vary depending on qualifications, experience,
and departmental budget. Note: Unclassified positions (faculty,
executives, researchers and coaches) do not have established salary
The University of Mississippi provides equal opportunity in any
employment practice, education program, or education activity to
all qualified persons. The University complies with all applicable
laws regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action and does
not unlawfully discriminate against any employee or applicant for
employment based upon race, color, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, citizenship,
national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetic
Interview Requirements: Any candidate who is called for an
interview must notify the Department of Equal
Opportunity/Regulatory Compliance in writing of any reasonable
accommodation needed prior to the date of the interview.
Background Check Statement
The University of Mississippi is committed to providing a safe
campus community. UM conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. Background
investigations include a criminal history record check, and when
appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history