Arizona State University
The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering Dean’s office at ASU is seeking a highly motivated communications specialist to join our Marketing and Communications team. This team member will help develop and implement communications strategies, campaigns, written content and materials for the School of Biological and Health Systems Engineering — one of the Fulton Schools of Engineering located on the Tempe campus. The School of Biological and Health Systems Engineering is a dynamic community using biomedical and engineering principles and methods to develop instrumentation, materials, diagnostic and therapeutic devices, artificial organs and various other technologies to improve the overall quality of global health care.
The candidate selected for this role will effectively market and disseminate information promoting the School of Biological and Health Systems Engineering to internal and external constituents, including faculty, staff, current and potential students, alumni, donors and the community.
The communications specialist hired for this role will be embedded within the School of Biological and Health Systems Engineering and work closely with the Fulton Schools of Engineering marketing and communications team. This position reports to the assistant director of marketing and communications for the Fulton Schools of Engineering. Primary job responsibilities will take place on ASU’s Tempe campus, with occasional in-person attendance required at the ASU Polytechnic campus for meetings and events.
$49,133 - $63,874 per year, DOE
- Creates, coordinates and executes communications to support the School of Biological and Health Systems Engineering, hereafter referred to generally as “the school.”
- Plans, develops and produces high-quality, creative content for print and digital mediums using writing and graphic design skills, including feature stories/articles, newsletters, brochures, mailers, social media, presentations, web content, events, press releases and annual reports for school audiences (e.g., faculty, staff, current and prospective students, donors, alumni and the public).
- Writes and edits feature-length articles to promote the school’s research developments, academic programs, key partnerships and student achievements to internal and external audiences.
- Engages with key school stakeholders, including faculty, students, alumni and academic partners, to develop timely communications. These functions may include but are not limited to conducting interviews, attending meetings and events, and participating in school-related activities to stay apprised of developments across the school.
- Develops, plans and implements overall social media strategy to support and improve the school’s online presence.
- Oversees planning, content creation and updating of the school’s websites through collaboration with stakeholders and the Fulton Schools marketing and communications team. The communications specialist performs routine updates in a timely manner, especially regarding program promotion, development, recruitment and student services.
- Participates in strategic communications planning for the school’s projects and initiatives.
- Interfaces with Fulton Schools managers and team members and university collaborators across campuses to execute marketing projects, which may include the development of feature stories, photography, design and layout of publications, ordering of promotional items and maintenance of the school’s website.
- Nurtures relationships with the school’s key stakeholders, including external industry collaborators and alumni, to generate awareness of collaboration opportunities.
- Schedules, edits and supports photography and video projects in alignment with the school’s strategic goals and the Fulton Schools of Engineering.
- Provides marketing and communications guidance and expertise to school leadership and other decision-makers.
- Assists in coordinating and promoting events happening across the school.
- Ensures all marketing and communications materials developed for the school meet university brand standards and follow the Associated Press style guide.
- Liaises with the Fulton Schools of Engineering central marketing and communications team, ASU Media Relations and ASU Enterprise Brand and Marketing, as needed, to generate and coordinate external media coverage for the school.
Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English, Communications, Marketing, Education or a related field AND three (3) years of related work experience in the development of comprehensive and creative communication; OR seven (7) years of related work experience; OR Any equivalent combination of experience and or education from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved. Certificates from recognized programs that verify mastery of tools and techniques relevant to the assignment may substitute for up to six (6) months of experience.
- Experience in writing articles, summarizing research projects and produce written content for a lay audience based on complex subject matter.
- Demonstrated knowledge of marketing practices and principles.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining effective relationships with faculty, staff, teams and community members.
- Experience with graphic design concepts and publication layout.
- Experience translating complex, scientific and technical subjects into stories for a general audience.
- Experience working with Adobe Creative Cloud applications, specifically Photoshop and InDesign.
- Experience working with Google Workspace and Microsoft Office.
- Experience with podcasts and multimedia platforms for disseminating content.
- Experience with assembling content and materials for marketing/advertising campaigns.
- Experience managing a website using WordPress.
- Experience with Salesforce Marketing Cloud or a similar digital marketing platform.
- Experience with social media channels (LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook) a plus.
- Evidence of effective communication skills.
- Experience in taking and processing photos and videos for online and publication use.
- Experience in strategic communications planning.
- Experience in principles, concepts and practices of project management.
- Experience in communications assessment, editing, research and summary.
- Experience working collaboratively with internal and external teams, faculty, staff and community members.
- Experience presenting research or publications.
Activities are primarily performed in a regular, climate-controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, standing and walking. Lift up to 20 pounds. Regular activities require the ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts. Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions. Regular use of standard office equipment including, but not limited to computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, mouse), printer, fax, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals.
The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering is the largest producer of engineering and technical talent in the nation and seeks to deliver a world-class learning experience for our students and to advance research and innovation – all at scale. We value and emphasize inherently interdisciplinary endeavors that leverage the breadth and depth of expertise among our outstanding faculty, and have built a unique place for large-scale innovation characterized by foundational excellence and translational impacts. We are an engineering school on the rise at the most innovative university in the country and in the heart of the nation’s fifth largest metropolitan area. The scale of our faculty research interests and interdisciplinary mindset, combined with more than 48 graduate degree programs and 25 undergraduate degree programs, provide the foundation for knowledge generation and collaborative opportunities to advance new ideas.
The Fulton Schools of Engineering, located across ASU’s Tempe and Polytechnic campuses, is comprised of seven schools based on academic programs and research areas. Fulton Engineering has a nationally recognized faculty that conducts research, instructs and mentors students, provides service to engineering, computing and technology professions and creates lasting impacts across local and global communities.
The Fulton Schools of Engineering follows a framework of values designed to distinguish our practice and guide daily decisions in our academic, research, corporate engagement and entrepreneurial endeavors. These values influence how we recognize, reward and communicate our achievements. At the Fulton Schools of Engineering, we:
● Cultivate excellence.
● Deliver innovation that matters.
● Encourage bold thinking.
● Foster a community of learning and collaboration.
● Build a foundation for all to be successful.
Working at ASU has outstanding benefits that include: health, dental and vision insurance plans; ASU/UA/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; life insurance and disability programs; sick leave and holidays; state and optional retirement plans; access to ASU recreation and cultural activities, and more. To estimate the value of your total compensation, please visit https://cfo.asu.edu/compensation-estimator.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
To view full description or to apply please click this link: