Biochemistry is encouraging applications for The Professional
Research Assistant Position. The Parker lab studies the mechanisms
of neurodegenerative diseases and how they are impacted by RNA
metabolism. This position will be part of a group working on
understanding tauopathies, including Alzheimer's Disease, and
developing possible treatments using mouse models of disease.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Since 1986, Biochemistry at the University of Colorado at Boulder
has offered a world-class interdisciplinary research environment in
a beautiful mountain setting. Faculty includes a Nobel Laureate,
five members of the National Academy of Sciences, three Howard
Hughes Investigators, and many other esteemed scientists who have
established themselves as research leaders within
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Perform skilled technical procedures such as electrophoresis,
chromatography, animal surgery, or microscopy.
- Operate complex scientific instrumentation.
- Conduct literature reviews to assist in determining the most
suitable methods to be used in research. Collaborate with other lab
members on experimental design, creation of appropriate methods and
protocols, and development of new laboratory techniques.
- Analyze data, formulate conclusions, and create appropriate
statistical presentations, including graphs and charts, and prepare
and present written or oral progress reports regarding
- Collect, record, organize and verify the accuracy of data. May
use specialized software applications to assemble, manipulate,
format and/or perform statistical analyses of data.
- Actively contribute to laboratory meetings and planning
- Assist with laboratory equipment maintenance.
- May participate in performing inventories of materials and
- May maintain insects, plants, animals, and/or bacterial and
tissue cultures for experimental purposes.
- May demonstrate and explain various laboratory techniques to
laboratory personnel, students, and others.
- May train others in performing technical procedures and
evaluating experimental results.
In addition to the duties specifically identified by this job
description, the position will include other duties if and as
assigned by the direct supervisor or others with supervisory
authority over this position.
What You Should Know
The anticipated start date for this position is January 1,
What We Can Offer
The hiring range for this full-time position is
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be collaborative. Be ambitious. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry/Molecular Biology or related
What We Would Like You to Have
- Basic Molecular Biology knowledge.
- Knowledge of laboratory protocols and techniques.
- Ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a diverse
- Ability to take initiative, prioritize tasks, work
independently, use good judgment, and monitor completion of
- Ability to operate complex scientific equipment.
- Fully understands role in the work unit and in related units;
understands how the job supports achievement of the organization’s
- Mouse Handling/Colony Management
- Checking litters
- Tail snipping
- Ear tagging
- Setting up crosses
- Genotyping (DNA lysis and PCR)
- Two years of related research experience
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Current resume/CV.
- Cover letter.
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified
by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources Department using an
approved online vendor. However, if your degree was obtained
outside of the United States, please submit a translated
During the application process, you will need to enter contact
information for three references. We will request letters of
recommendation and additional materials, if needed, as the search
Please apply by January 1, 2024
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: