Home Org Name
Truman Pierce Institute
College of Education
Director (GEAR UP Achieve)
Job Class Code
Limited Term Length
The College of Education
at Auburn University is excited to
recruit candidates for the Director
(Gear Up Achieve)
position working at the Truman Pierce Institute!
The successful candidate will assist and work at the direction of
the Principal Investigator to plan, coordinate, deliver, and manage
GEAR UP ACHIEVE services to accomplish the project’s goals and
objectives. Oversees the operations for GEAR UP ACHIEVE sites to
include supervision of professional and administrative staff, as
well as budget and grant reporting responsibilities.
GEAR UP Achieve
is designed to improve access for students
across the state, with strategic goals that include:
- Improving access to high-quality literacy and mathematics
- Leveraging state-level data to monitor students’ academic
- Supporting school counselors, career coaches and academic
advisors in guiding students toward higher education
- Assisting students and their families in navigating the college
admissions process and preparing to meet Alabama’s workforce needs;
- Increasing awareness of the costs of higher education and
providing technical assistance to students and their families in
completing the requirements for receiving financial aid.
Auburn was named by Forbes Magazine as one of
the state of Alabama’s best employers, with employees staying an
average of ten years! Learn more about Auburn’s impact, generous
employee benefits, and thriving community by visiting
It’s a Lifestyle
: The Auburn/Opelika area is a page right
out of Southern Living magazine with an idyllic small-town feel,
perfecting a unique balance between a close-knit community and
driving consistent growth and development. Paralleling the
exponential growth of Auburn University, the Auburn/Opelika area
boasts services and amenities that cater to any interest. We’re
proud of our top school systems, city services, award-winning
restaurants, and the infectious spirit of life in a college town.
You can find us nestled halfway between the beach and the mountains
in a lower-cost-of-living area, two hours outside of Atlanta or
Birmingham. If you’re new to Auburn, we’d love to introduce you. If
you’re already acquainted with Auburn, we’ll keep it simple: it’s
time to come home!
Auburn University is committed to a diverse
and inclusive campus environment. Visit www.auburn.edu/inclusion
to learn more about our commitment to expanding equity and
inclusion for all.
This is a limited term appointment. Continuation of employment
after 09/30/2030 is contingent upon availability of
- Assume leadership for the organization, administration, and
provide high-level vision and direction for project
- Serve as day-to-day point person on all the key projects and
- Recruit, select, train, supervise, and evaluate project
- Review programming in conjunction with the School
- Serve as main point of contact for the Principal
- Lead communication efforts with the Alabama State Department of
Education Officials and grant partners.
- Provide leadership for effective parental and community
- Travel monthly throughout the target area for project
- Finalize all reports, in conjunction with the principal
investigators, submitted to the US Department of Education.
- Attend national and regional GEAR UP (and related)
Education and Experience:
Substitutions allowed for Experience:
- Master’s degree in Education, Education Administration,
Counseling, or related field.
- 5 year of experience in the coordination and/or management of
program, including the supervision of professional and
administrative staff, as well as budgets and/or grants.
When a candidate
has the required education, but lacks the required experience, they
may normally apply additional appropriate education toward the
experience requirement, at a rate of one (1) year relevant
education per year of required experience.
Minimum Skills, License, and Certifications
Minimum Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of higher educational policies and procedures. Ability to
coordinate meetings and events considering complex scheduling
Minimum Technology Skills
Minimum License and Certifications
Posting Detail Information
$60,900 - $109,600
Working Hours if Non-Traditional
City position is located in:
State position is located:
List any hazardous conditions or physical demands required by
Auburn University is committed to an inclusive and diverse campus
environment. Women, underrepresented groups, individuals with
disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
EMPLOYER . It is our policy to provide equal employment
opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex,
religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected
veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender
identity, or any other classification protected by applicable
Special Instructions to Applicants
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please select how you first became aware of this opportunity.
Your response helps us determine how we can more effectively reach
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- HERC (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium)
- The Tuskegee News
- Professional organization or journal
- Veterans Assistance Services
- Disability Assistance Services
- State Employment Service
- Social Media
- AU Job Bulletin
- Notified by an Auburn employee
- College or university Career Services
- I went to the AU Employment Website directly
- * Please select the answer that best describes your current
employment relationship with Auburn University:
- Current full-time Auburn or AUM employee within probationary
- Current full-time Auburn or AUM employee outside of
- Current part-time Auburn or AUM employee
- Not an Auburn or AUM employee
- * Do you have a Master's Degree or higher in Education,
Education Administration, Counseling, or a related field?
- * Do you have at least 5 years of experience in the
coordination and/or management of a math and science program OR an
additional degree to use in lieu of some years of experience?