STEAMers Camp (Community Education) Instructor
Reports To and Evaluated by
Director of Corporate, Community & Continuing Education
BA degree in Elementary Education or Associate degree with 3-5
years of relevant work experience. Experience working with children
ages 6-14 in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering,
Mathematics, the Arts, Athletics and Theater. The candidate must be
willing to take direction, be dependable, flexible, punctual and
show good judgment. Must be able to supervise student aides and
model appropriate teaching strategies for hands-on learning. Have
the ability to supervise small group work and redirect students in
addition to support staff as needed. Must exhibit professionalism
and strong work ethics. Ability to collaborate with internal and
external staff and vendors.
Must be able to demonstrate the Morton College core values of
compassion, fairness, respect, responsibility, tolerance and
Experience working in a community college and/or non-credit
environment. Strong customer service skills. English-Spanish
bilingual. First Aid certification.
Develop lesson plans and activities in cooperation with the
STEAMers Camp Instructor for children ages 6-12. Supervising and
modeling educational and disciplinary strategies for service aides
who act as “counselors” to the children.
Specific Job Duties
- Design the educational session to complement the lesson plans
developed jointly with the other STEAMers Instructor(s).
- Deliver group instruction for program participants as outlined
in approved curriculum documents and consistent with program plans
- Mentor, train and support staff to assist in instructional
delivery including the preparation of session materials and
clean-up of materials and instructional areas, and returning
materials to the proper storage space.
- Assign daily tasks to the summer camp counselors to ensure the
curriculum implementation is successfully executed.
- Report any issues to the Director of Community and Continuing
Education and work together on finding productive solutions in
addition to reporting any needs for the program, this includes the
- Direct students during outdoor activities and field trips.
- Collaborate with other STEAMers Camp staff and faculty on
- Collaborate with external instructional providers and adjust
class instruction as needed.
- Ensuring proper paperwork is completed by parents and that the
sign-in/sign-out procedures are followed.
- Ensuring student safety at all times.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
$50 per contact hour
Desired Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Morton College is dedicated to diversity and is an Equal
Opportunity Employer. We seek applicants from all backgrounds to
ensure we get the best diverse talent to join our team. Minorities,
women, individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply
for employment opportunities.
Temporary Position (June 24 through July 18, 2014)
Hours: M-TH, 7 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn about this employment opportunity?
- Morton "careers" website
- Internal posting
- Inside Higher Ed
- Higher Ed jobs
- newspaper/trade journal
- * Are you at State Universities Retirement System (SURS)
annuitant, currently receiving a monthly annuity, or plan to apply
for a retirement annuity under SURS within the next three (3)
- * What is the highest degree completed?
- H.S. Diploma
- Cover Letter
- Letters of Recommendation