Note for Current UM Employees
Current employees must apply internally via connectU >
Definition of Class
This position participates in activities associated with the
admissions process for a special group of applicants requiring
complex evaluation and processing procedures. Incumbent may be
responsible for training and guidance of other personnel regarding
admissions practices and procedures. Work is reviewed by
Examples of Work Performed
- Manages, reviews and evaluates applications for admission.
Assigns and enters coding information into computerized
- Reviews student admission files and compares course completion
and grade point averages with admission requirements.
- Provides information to students concerning course selection in
order to meet the admission requirements.
- Evaluates each course and validates test scores on transcripts
with respect to admission requirements.
- Researches the dual-credit of course work from regionally
accredited colleges and universities on an as needed basis.
- Researches the acceptability of courses from high schools
across the U. S. to determine if students will have comparable
content and rigor to meet freshmen admissions requirements on an as
- Maintains appropriate filing system on assigned group of
applicants; rotates files at the end of each enrollment
- Assists customers, both internal and external, over the
telephone, in person, and via electronic communication.
- May meet with prospective students as needed.
- Notifies appropriate personnel concerning student withdrawls
and admission cancellations.
- Communicates with applicants regarding admission requirements,
policies, procedures for academic and non-academic programs and
- Prepares notices of admission and admission deficiencies;
reviews notices for accuracy, and distributes information to proper
- Enters non-traditional credit to students record for credit by
exams such as Advanced Placement/CLEP/IB.
- Scans admissions documents into electronic filing system and
verifies documents are entered properly.
- Opens, sorts, and routes incoming mail and prepares outgoing
- Creates admission applications and checks residency.
- Answers routine correspondence; provides information to
faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
- Assists in recruiting activities and distributes admissions
- Performs related or similar duties as required or
These essential functions include, but are not limited to, the
following. Additional essential functions may be identified and
included by the hiring department.
- Receives and evaluates applications for admission, and enters
information into a database.
- Maintains accurate files on applicants and assists in proper
processing of applications.
- Corresponds with prospective students including applicants,
family, alumni, and guidance counselors; answers commonly asked
questions, and provides information related to admissions
requirements and procedures.
- Interprets and applies appropriate Federal, State, and
University rules and regulations.
Graduation from a standard four-year high school or equivalent
One (1) year experience related to the above-described
Interview Requirements: Any candidate who is called for an
interview must notify the Department of Equal
Opportunity/Regulatory Compliance in writing of any reasonable
accommodation needed prior to the date of the interview.
Substitution Statement: Related experience may be substituted for
education, on a basis set forth and approved by the Department of
To learn more about our pay structure and view our salary ranges,
to visit the Compensation page of our Human Resources
website. This link is provided for general pay information. Hourly
rate or salary may vary depending on qualifications, experience,
and departmental budget. Note: Unclassified positions (faculty,
executives, researchers and coaches) do not have established salary
The University of Mississippi provides equal opportunity in any
employment practice, education program, or education activity to
all qualified persons. The University complies with all applicable
laws regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action and does
not unlawfully discriminate against any employee or applicant for
employment based upon race, color, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, citizenship,
national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetic
Background Check Statement
The University of Mississippi is committed to providing a safe
campus community. UM conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. Background
investigations include a criminal history record check, and when
appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history