The Graphic Designer I
will have the primary
responsibilities of assisting the Senior Graphic Designer in all
aspects of conceptual graphic design, layout, and production for
the University’s print and digital communications and collateral
materials. The Graphic Designer I will collaborate with team
members to deliver engaging and culturally relevant designs while
upholding FMU's values, brand, and identity.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Create visually appealing designs for a wide range of
materials, including but limited to event flyers, posters, social
media graphics, brochures, logos, and web content.
- Ensure consistency in design elements and adherence to the
FMU's brand guidelines.
- Work closely with the OPA team, as well as other departments,
faculty, staff, and students, to understand their design needs and
deliver creative solutions.
- Infuse cultural and historical sensitivity into designs to
resonate with FMU’s unique audience.
- Perform basic photo editing and retouching as needed.
- Must be receptive to feedback and make revisions as necessary
to refine designs and deliver an exceptional product.
- Stay up to date with design trends and tools to maintain a
fresh and innovative approach to design.
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the
supervisor from assigning duties that logically relate to the
- Excellent understanding of design principles, including layout,
typography, and color theory.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- A portfolio showcasing relevant design work.
- Familiarity with small and large format printing.
- Familiarity with or a genuine interest in the culture and
history of HBCUs.
- The ability to prioritize and meet project deadlines in a
- Utilize industry-standard design software (e.g., Adobe Creative
Suite) for graphic design tasks. Basic knowledge of Microsoft
Office 365, and other cloud platforms. Working knowledge of
WordPress is preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment
is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of
average weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking
for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA),
those functions of the job that are identified as essential are
required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will
be given careful consideration.
- A bachelor's degree in graphic design, visual communications,
advertising, or another related field.
- Minimum one year of professional experience in graphic design
and working in a corporate, higher education, or agency work
- The candidate must present a PDF portfolio of sample work or
- This position may require occasional evening or weekend work,
particularly during major events.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity
- Criminal background check
- Drug testing.