About the role
Do you love to shape ideas, address structural challenges in
writing, and craft words and paragraphs that engage the reader? Are
you enthusiastic about copyediting, style guides, and quality
control? Would you like to work with leaders in the fields of
software engineering, cybersecurity, and artificial intelligence
(AI) on projects that matter to the Department of Defense (DoD),
government agencies, and private industry?
We’re looking for a Senior Technical Writer and Content Strategist
to join our Technical Communications team at the Software
Engineering Institute (SEI) to edit technical reports, write and
edit content for the SEI website, and create and edit
presentations. You will collaborate with SEI researchers,
engineers, and other subject-matter experts to help them create
professional materials that communicate the innovations and impact
of their work.
What you’ll do
Who you are
- Edit formal technical reports. Tailor your work for each
project—from substantive editing, to copyediting, to
proofreading—depending on project requirements, schedule, and
- Write and edit brief articles and marketing materials.
- Write and edit web content, video scripts, and content for
other electronic media.
- Act as a consultant or co-writer with subject-matter experts
and collaborate with technical teams to capture information about
their research and develop and improve their content.
- Suggest ways to present content in a document and repurpose it
to other media.
- Work with SEI Communication Design, Web Services, Public
Relations, and Outreach teams on publications, presentations, web
pages, information graphics, and event materials.
- Plan, manage, schedule, and track your project tasks.
You might also have experience in
- You have at least five years of experience in technical writing
and editing or a related discipline.
- You have excellent document planning, writing, substantive
editing, and copyediting skills.
- You are committed to customer service for subject-matter
experts, but you are also a strong advocate for their
- You have a keen eye for detail and a strong focus on quality
and adherence to a style guide.
- You have strong organizational, time management, and project
management skills and can prioritize multiple
- You have the social skills to interview subject-matter experts
or work closely with them to plan and develop written technical
- You have significant experience with Microsoft Office
applications, particularly Word and PowerPoint.
- You can work with minimal or no supervision, but you also
participate in team decision making.
- You are willing to travel within the SEI and CMU community—and
occasionally to sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings—to
support the SEI’s mission (<5%).
- You can pass a background check, obtain and maintain a DoD
security clearance, and possibly get and maintain other
customer-required background checks.
- Applicants for this position must be currently legally
authorized to work for CMU in the United States. CMU will not
sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment visa for this
How to apply
- an academic or technical research setting
- marketing writing for a technical or DoD audience
- coordinating with others to meet service-level agreements for
- issue- and project-tracking software
- website content-management systems
- accessibility or 508 compliance
- LaTeX or other document-preparation systems
With your resume, please also upload
- a short article or marketing piece that demonstrates your
- a text sample that demonstrates the impact of your editing
skills, via tracked changes, redlining, or first/final versions (or
a second writing sample)
A cover letter is optional but can expand on your work history and
explain how it aligns with the job description.
Who we are
Always focused on the future, the SEI advances software as a
strategic advantage for national security. We lead research and
direct transition of software engineering, cybersecurity, and AI
technologies at the intersection of academia, industry, and
government. We serve the nation as a federally funded research and
development center (FFRDC) sponsored by the DoD and are based at
Carnegie Mellon University, a global research university annually
rated among the best for its programs in computer science and
engineering. Learn more about Careers
at the SEI.
The Technical Communications team helps the SEI’s subject-matter
experts inform our sponsor and the public about the research,
methods, products, and services developed at the SEI.
Our benefits philosophy encompasses three driving priorities:
choice, control, and well-being . Through Carnegie Mellon
University, the SEI offers a wide range of competitive employee
benefits to help you live well, including comprehensive health
insurance, tuition benefits, and a generous PTO and
retirement-savings policy to name a few.
Why work here?
- Work with subject-matter experts doing cutting-edge research to
solve tough problems for the government and the nation.
- Join an experienced, knowledgeable, and friendly team.
- Get an 8% monthly contribution to your retirement plan, without
having to contribute yourself.
- Get tuition benefits for you and your dependent children to
attend classes at CMU.
- Enjoy a healthy work/life balance with a flexible work
- Get access to university resources such as campus fitness
facilities, mindfulness programs, childcare, free transportation on
the Port Authority Transit System, and more.
- Enjoy annual professional-development opportunities to attend
conferences and training or get a certification.
Staff – Regular
Full time/Part time
Salary More Information:
- Please visit “ Why Carnegie Mellon ” to learn more about
becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change
- Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
- Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity
- Statement of Assurance