Our Open Learning Initiative team (OLI) is seeking a Learning
Engineer to perform a variety of online course development, project
management, and product development activities in support of the
OLI mission to be at the intersection of design, technology, and
learning science to create solutions that extend the frontier of
effective online education and advance our understanding of human
learning. The Learning Engineer works with other OLI Learning
Engineers, Product Developers, and Help Desk staff to manage and
develop online instructional materials and incorporate
technology-enhanced learning (TEL) in their course designs. The
position manages their own projects, and other assets to support
course development and delivery, project team formation, learning
science research, data analysis, community-building, and thought
Your core responsibilities will include:
- Analyze learning requirements and identify learning objectives
- Develop online instructional assets that align with learning
goals and apply research-based learning principles. This work will
range from developing smaller-scale prototypes to fully online
courses, the production of which will require experience with
- Create and support instructional asset design, production, and
editing, including videos, activities, etc.
- Provide customer consultations on: (1) selection of
technologies appropriately aligned with teaching and learning
needs, and (2) strategies for effectively implementing technology
to enhance learning in online and blended courses.
- Ensure the quality and effectiveness of learning materials
through design, evaluation, and testing.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to implement learning
programs and ensure their alignment with educational and business
- Develop resources and support OLI professional development
programs aimed at educating others about OLI learning engineering
approaches, relevant technology options, best practices to enhance
learning, and strategies for effectively integrating them into
- Monitor the impact of learning programs and make data-driven
decisions to optimize their effectiveness.
- Stay abreast of emerging technology developments, potential
pedagogical applications, and associated educational research.
- Provide support and troubleshoot technical issues for
- A range of project management activities for large complex
projects including: managing Project Work Statements, Work Plans,
and other customer contract documents; preparing special reports
with information gathered from a variety of internal and external
sources; identifying and analyzing variances and providing
solutions; working with other departments and external stakeholders
to ensure a coordinated effort; acting as an advisor to management
on project management related issues and recommending new processes
and practices related to the aforementioned.
Inclusion and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU.
Therefore, we are in search of a team member who can effectively
interact with a varied population of diverse audiences. We are
looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the
mission of the university through their work.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Computer Science, or related
- 5-8 years of project management experience.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, reasoning, and
- A combination of education and relevant experience from which
comparable knowledge is demonstrated may be considered.
- Successful background check
At Carnegie Mellon, we value the whole package when extending
offers of employment. Beyond just credentials, we consider the
role's responsibilities, your invaluable work experience, and the
knowledge gained through education and training. We acknowledge and
appreciate your unique key skills and the diverse perspectives you
bring. Our commitment to fostering an inclusive work environment
means we also account for geographic differentials. Your journey
with us is about more than just a job; it's about finding the
perfect fit for your professional growth and personal
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity?! Apply
Program, Project and Operations Management
Staff – Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Full Time/Part time
- Please visit “ Why Carnegie Mellon ” to learn more about
becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change
- Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
- Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity
- Statement of Assurance