PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB: Adjunct faculty members are scheduled to teach load of English classes, including courses comprised of composition courses, sophomore literature courses and upper level English courses on an as needed basis depending upon the instructional needs of the department. They will be assigned courses for which he/she has achieved and established academic qualifications.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY: Adjunct faculty members must demonstrate success in the classroom by developing and using highly effective teaching strategies that meet the needs of diverse students; that promote the acquisition and application of knowledge; and promote the development of critical and creative learning and problems solving skills.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
· Ability to communicate effectively
· Possess excellent organizational skills
· Experience in working with low income and first generation students
· Strong communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills and commitment to collegiality and teamwork.
· Evidence of potential for excellence in teaching at undergraduate level.
· Proven ability to work with departments across all levels of the University
· Provide support for continuous process improvement of the academic programs and the department
Essential Job Functions
· Demonstrate knowledge of instructional strategies and techniques appropriate to teaching, managing, motivating, evaluating and advising adult students;
· Interact with students in an appropriate, professional manner;
· Comply with departmental curriculum, grading standards, student performance data, attendance policies, textbook choices and assessments;
· Attend classes regularly as scheduled;
· Maintain effective written and verbal communication with students, faculty and department chair or designee;
* Comply with all legal and ethical obligations, including FERPA, ADA and other regulatory legislations
· Earned Master’s degree in English
· Ability to work with a diverse staff, faculty and student population
· Working knowledge of common learning management systems such as BANNER and CANVAS
Proficiency with standard office applications on personal computers
Licensing and Certifications