The Senior Accounting Specialist is responsible for maintaining the financial records of the College by computing, classifying and accurately recording day-to-day transactions. This position performs and verifies the accuracy of other employees’ routine financial calculations and general ledger entries. The Senior Accounting Specialist helps to ensure compliance with federal, state and college rules, procedures, and regulations in order to maintain the fiscal reporting integrity of the College. This position coordinates with staff in various departments to resolve differences found in reconciliations.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Monitor and reconcile daily, monthly and/or yearly college fiscal records related to various internal and external accounts.
- Monitor, research, collaborate and coordinate resolution of reconciliation variances identified including recommendations of appropriate solutions or corrective actions and adjustments as needed for resolution.
- Maintain complete, accurate and up-to-date reporting of programs including budget, revenue, and expense reports for supervisor review.
- Assist with identifying requests for funds by reviewing received and anticipated revenue and expenses.
- Prepare various reports for review by supervisor.
- Monitor the return of funds and recommend account adjustments as needed.
- Utilize computer programs for reporting, tracking and monitoring transactions.
- Assemble information for audits.
- Supervise the work of other assigned staff as requested.
- Adhere to all institutional, state and federal rules, guidelines, and regulations.
- Coordinate with supervisor or other designee on various initiatives including improving and streamlining functions, processes, and reports.
- Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible, and professional engagement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications (minimum qualifications)
- Associate degree and four years of related work experience or a combination of completed education and/or related work experience equal to six years.
Preferred Qualifications (qualifications the ideal candidate would possess)
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business or finance.
- Prior experience working within an accounting and/or finance function.
- Experience working in a higher education institution