The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering ranks among
the best in the country. Our research programs are at the forefront
of the technologies that have changed the world we live in. Our
interdisciplinary approach to education and research allows faculty
and student across the university and beyond to collaborate on
problems that have a significant impact on the world around
Carnegie Mellon University’s department of Electrical and Computer
Engineering is searching for a Facilities Manager to join their
team. This position is responsible for managing the physical
facilities of all ECE spaces, totaling approximately 93,000 square
feet in four separate buildings, plus public spaces in these
buildings and the general infrastructure of ECE computer space in
Cyert Hall. Because of the technical nature of the discipline,
space includes undergraduate education labs, undergraduate
computing labs, faculty and graduate student research labs,
faculty/staff/graduate student office and collaborative space, and
the largest, most complex network and computing infrastructure on
Your core responsibilities will include:
- Working with CMU FMCS to oversee all aspects of building
maintenance; HVAC, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, pneumatics,
hydraulics, and housekeeping for 5 ECE buildings totaling over
93,000 square feet. Responds to routine and non-routine customer
requests. Researches and analyzes problems and determines
solutions; authorizes repairs and replacements; coordinates with
- Scheduling and coordinating research equipment deliveries,
research equipment installation, repairs and, shutdowns; works with
laboratory researchers to safely shutdown research equipment in the
event of a building equipment shutdown. Communicates all necessary
information to department personnel, coordinates installation of
specialized research and other unique department equipment.
- Proactively identifying areas in need of
remodeling/refurbishing; manages all aspects of these projects.
Hires contractors to provide necessary services such as electrical,
painting, carpet/flooring/soundproofing, lighting, general office
equipment, audiovisual equipment, and kitchen appliances,
- Managing all personnel and equipment moves that take place
because of renovations, remodeling or reorganization.
- Providing support for set-up of faculty research laboratories;
provides ongoing maintenance and safety support.
- Managing maintenance of all departmental security systems;
administers department’s telephone/teleconferencing program in
collaboration with Unified Communications.
- Providing various value-added services to the department such
as 24/7 response to departmental emergencies; serves as liaison to
the Environmental Health & Safety Emergency Response Team;
serves on university laboratory safety committees.
- Miscellaneous data gathering and reporting responsibilities
such as providing annual space audits, space and facility reports
for department, college and/or university.
- Serving on ad hoc college-level capital project committees
where ECE has a vested interest: currently MakerWing, ANSYS, and
Scott Hall/Nanofabrication Facility.
- Managing ECE’s shipping/receiving service center, supervising
multiple work study students.
- Assist community members with preparing outgoing packages,
track outgoing packages with the Facilities RT system, maintain
shipping supply inventory, and occasional delivery of
- Sorting and delivering U.S. mail to various ECE
- Coordinating the hiring, training, and supervision of work
study students to assist with covering the shipping and receiving
help desk during designated hours, package deliveries, and other
duties as assigned.
- Coordinating cleaning/housekeeping for all ECE public and
private spaces (HH, REH, CIC, PH):
- Serving as the primary point of contact for ECE’s full time
custodian through FMCS (assist with prioritization of spaces and
daily/weekly tasks); assist with prioritizing department cleaning
needs and assigning tasks to the full-time custodian as
- Coordinating routine cleaning procedures such as prepping for
the start of classes each semester, VIP events, other special
- Serving as the primary point of contact for ECE faculty, staff
and student office relocations including the relocation of
furniture and office content.
- Coordinating with UC Communications on the installation and
set-up of new phones/phone lines; changes to existing lines. Assist
the community with troubleshooting problems. Delegate problems to
UC Communications as needed.
- Managing ECE ID card access program (CS Gold university system)
for all ECE spaces (HH, REH, CIC, PH) for ECE faculty, staff, and
- Producing data and reports for department, college, or
university initiatives such as the annual space audit and annual
report, as requested.
- Monitoring and responding to tickets via the Facilities RT
system as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within
Carnegie Mellon University. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural
sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in
search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a
varied population of internal and external partners at a high level
of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and
who will support the mission of the university through their
You should demonstrate:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience
- Successful background check
Joining the CMU team opens the door to an array of exceptional
benefits, available to all full-time Carnegie Mellon University
employees. Experience the full spectrum of advantages, from
comprehensive medical, prescription, dental, and vision insurance
to enticing retirement savings programs. Unlock your potential with
tuition benefits, and take well-deserved breaks with generous paid
time off and holidays. Rest easy knowing you're covered by life and
accidental death and disability insurance. For a comprehensive
overview of the benefits awaiting you, explore: https://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance
At Carnegie Mellon, we value the whole package when extending
offers of employment. Beyond just credentials, we consider the role
& responsibilities, your invaluable work experience, and the
knowledge gained through education and training. We acknowledge and
appreciate your unique key skills and the diverse perspectives you
bring. Our commitment to fostering an inclusive work environment
means we also account for geographic differentials. Your journey
with us is about more than just a job; it’s about finding the
perfect fit for your professional growth and personal
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity?! Apply
Staff – Regular
Full Time/Part time
- Please visit “ Why Carnegie Mellon ” to learn more about
becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change
- Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
- Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity
- Statement of Assurance