About Worcester State University:
WORCESTER STATE UNIVERSITY is a liberal arts and sciences
university with a long tradition of academic excellence dating back
to 1874, as well as an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
Employer that seeks to reflect the diversity of its community. Our
workforce is dedicated to academic quality, student-centered
programming, engaged citizenship, open exchanges of ideas,
diversity and inclusiveness, and civility and integrity. We are
looking for job applicants who share these values and commitment to
Worcester State is centrally located in Massachusetts, about an
hour's drive from Boston, Springfield, and Providence, Rhode
Island. Our 58-acre campus is nestled in the residential northwest
side of Worcester--the second largest city in New England and home
to 37,000 college students at more than a dozen colleges and
universities. Over 6,000 of those students attend Worcester
State--approximately 5,300 are undergraduates and 1,000 are
graduate students. Learn more about us at worcester.edu/about
Purchasing/Travel/Reimbursement (PTR) Service Administrator
Executive Director, Chief Procurement
May supervise subordinate
professional, classified, non-benefited, and student personnel, as
General Statement of Duties:
The Staff Associate, PTR
Services Administrator is responsible for the management and
administration of the university's P-Card, reimbursement, and
travel services operation, under the general supervision of the
Chief Procurement Officer. The incumbent will serve as the subject
matter expert with top notch customer service and problem-solving
skills. They will assume responsibility for training university
personnel on the policies and procedures related to these processes
and conform to and maintain a thorough knowledge and understanding
of the federal, state, and university laws, rules, and regulations
related to their responsibilities.
(E) = Essential
- (E) Exercises considerable independent judgment and adheres to
established regulations, policies, and procedures in the receiving,
reviewing, analyzing, processing, reconciling, and auditing of all
travel transactions, and all card-based expenditures and
reimbursements, including but not limited to procurement cards and
gas cards to ensure appropriate internal controls are in place;
maintains accurate, electronic files; prepares paper files for
scanning/conversion to electronic files in appropriate
- Documents and scrutinizes current policy,
- Evaluates organizational needs for purchasing card and
identifies purchases that should have been made through a purchase
- Reviews credit limits, number of cards issued, and spend
- Suggests new policy and procedures based on need for tighter
- Ensures travel authorizations are in place before authorizing
reimbursement for travel,
- Assists cardholders with expense report creation, and
- Follows up with approvers regarding unapproved expense reports;
trains as necessary.
- (E) Trains university constituents on the policy, processes,
and procedures related to purchasing cards, reimbursements, and
travel services operations; serves as a subject matter expert;
ensures all constituents have a copy of relevant policies.
- (E) Assists Chief Procurement Officer and/or designee with
reviewing travel contracts, and terms and conditions; maintains
travel reporting and analysis information to optimize travel
- (E) Performs duties with a problem-solving and customer service
mindset; identifies issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains
and compares information from various sources to draw conclusions;
develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions; solves problems
and selects an appropriate course of action.
- (E) Assists employees with opening, reconciling, terminating
accounts, and resolving fraud cases.
- (E) Confers with accounts payable, procurement, and other
departments to ensure and facilitate a flow of information for the
resolution of problems in a timely manner; works closely with
departmental colleagues in support of a cross-training model to
support peak period load times, during absences, and as a general
resource for all users of departmental services; provides
job-related training as needed.
- (E) Collaborates with senior leadership to implement a travel
platform to assist university personnel with booking flights and
making arrangements for transportation, accommodations, car
rentals, and tours, based on the organization or individual's
business and budget needs.
- (E) Reviews expense reimbursements and check requests for
completeness and proper approval.
- (E) Participates in purchasing, accounts payable, and/or
financial system upgrades.
- (E) Participates in professional development activities
conducted by procurement, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and
other institutions, as assigned; travels as necessary.
- Trains and monitors work study students, as assigned.
- (E) Demonstrates civility and professional, customer-service
oriented behavior, worthy of emulation by other staff and
- (E) Responsible for contributing to the WSU Strategic
- (E) Responsible for contributing to Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action objectives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, business
management, accounting, or similar field.
- At least three years of relevant professional experience in a
- Proficiency of Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel,
- Knowledge General Accounting Principles.
- Experience with analyzing data, drawing conclusions, and making
- Strong attention to detail and excellent organizational
- Ability to effectively balance multiple demands simultaneously,
often with competing deadlines.
- Superior customer service and problem-solving skills.
- Must be a self-starter, with the ability to work well both
independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to speak publicly and provide training to a variety of
university constituents in an effective manner.
- Ability to successfully complete a thorough background check
and CORI check.
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the position with
or without reasonable accommodation.
- Knowledge of Colleague/Datatel or other ERP systems, ImageNow,
- Familiarity with General Principles of Contract Law.
- Ability to supervise subordinate staff.
- Experience analyzing procurement cards and business-related
This is a full-time, benefited, exempt, professional APA position.
The firm starting annual salary range for this position is $65,000
- $70,000, commensurate with relevant professional experience and
It is the policy of Worcester State University that all employees
be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before they begin employment.
Proof of the COVID-19 vaccine is required of all individuals hired
by WSU, to be verified after an offer of employment has been made,
and as part of the background check process. Prospective employees
may submit a request for exemption based on a religious and/or
medical basis, to Human Resources, after an offer of employment has
Worcester State University offers a competitive benefits package
- a choice of 9 different pre-taxed, health insurance plan
- a choice of pension or 401(a), and supplemental plan retirement
- life insurance up to 8x the annual salary
- long-term disability coverage
- dental insurance
- 20 vacation days accrued per year
- 15 sick days accrued per year
- 5 personal days per year
- paid holidays
- tuition remission for self, spouse, and dependent children
- and more...
We are an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. M/F/D/V.
Members of traditionally underrepresented groups are strongly
encouraged to apply.
Applicants must apply online and may do so by visiting
www.worcester.edu/careers, and submitting a cover letter, resume,
and the contact information of three professional references.
For assistance with uploading materials, log a ticket via the
HelpDesk link, or contact us directly at 508-929-8053.