Founded in 1971 as the innovative campus of the State University
of New York, Empire State University empowers learners from diverse
backgrounds to achieve their educational goals. SUNY Empire has
decades of experience providing educational access through
high-quality online teaching and learning, individualized
instruction, mentoring, and prior learning assessment. The
institution builds on students' experiences to promote their growth
and drive upward mobility and economic development in New York
state and beyond. SUNY Empire's 97,000 alumni are entrepreneurs,
nurses, teachers, businesspeople, and leaders in their communities
and their fields. For additional information, visit www.sunyempire.edu.
SUNY Empire State seeks a Provost with an established academic
administrative record who will elevate Empire State University to
the next level through student-focused, consensus-driven
leadership. The Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic
Affairs plays a key role in supporting faculty and staff to advance
the institution's commitment to high-quality, accessible education
in the state, the region, and the world. As the chief academic
officer, the Provost serves as the champion of SUNY Empire's unique
academic mission and of the faculty and staff who deliver on that
The Provost will join the institution at an exciting time.
President Lisa Vollendorf began her tenure on July 1, 2022, and has
assembled a team of leaders committed to building on SUNY Empire's
strengths and serving all students with integrity. The Provost at
SUNY Empire oversees a large portfolio that includes academic
schools and departments, instructional design, institutional
research, student success, registrar's office, and additional key
operational units that support academic excellence. SUNY Empire
seeks a leader who is comfortable navigating complexity, uses data
to inform decision making, and has the collaborative talents
necessary to bring constituents together. The Provost will be a
skilled communicator and relationship builder with a record of
translating strategic vision into action, leading an inclusive
approach to growing enrollment, improving retention, diversifying
faculty and staff, and creating responsive academic and student
The Provost and EVP is charged with supporting student, faculty,
and staff success, including:
- Leading strategic plan implementation efforts for Academic
Affairs while driving progress towards all strategic objectives and
goals in collaboration with faculty and staff in a shared
- Leading strategic enrollment management planning and
implementation, including building and maintaining an academic
portfolio that meets the needs of students and the workforce.
- Supporting intentional, data-informed, holistic student-success
efforts that improve retention and graduation rates as well as
improve the student experience in alignment with the institution's
strategic plan and in alignment with SUNY Empire's core commitment
to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Recruiting, retaining, and developing a diverse academic
workforce committed to SUNY Empire's mission and diverse student
- Ensuring effective, meaningful accreditation, assessment, and
program-review efforts within a data-informed environment.
- Stewarding the division's fiscal resources responsibly while
engaging in data-informed decision-making.
- Developing and stewarding effective academic partnerships
around the state, region, and internationally.
- Serving as an advisor and thought partner to the president and
- Cultivating a culture of excellence, accountability, and
transparency within Academic Affairs.
- Acting as the officer in charge when the president is
The Provost and EVP shall possess:
- A doctoral degree from an accredited institution.
- Academic credentials consistent with appointment with tenure at
the rank of professor, as demonstrated by excellence in teaching;
service; and research, scholarship, or creative activity.
- A demonstrated record of increasing scope and responsibility in
academic leadership, including budget oversight and
- A record of commitment to student success in service to a
diverse student population, including reduction of barriers and
advancement of equity.
- Successful experience in university and/or programmatic
- Experience working effectively with faculty and staff in a
shared governance environment.
- Experience advancing innovation, academic quality, and
inclusion in online teaching and learning environments.
- A demonstrated record of implementation of diversity, equity,
and inclusion strategies and activities in higher education.
- Five years of experience at the Dean, Associate Vice President,
or equivalent level or higher
- A demonstrated record of developing and launching academic
programs in service to a diverse student population
- Experience with or knowledge of working with multiple unions in
a collective bargaining environment
- Experience in public higher education
- Demonstrated experience successfully leading an academic team
while advancing the institution's strategic goals
- A record of leading collaborative and inclusive initiatives to
meet workforce needs and connecting programs of study to jobs
- A record of serving diverse learners, including non-traditional
students and those who are returning to higher education
Additional Special Information:
- This position is located in Saratoga Springs, NY
- Travel is required
- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position
SUNY Empire proudly serves 16,000 students across the state of
New York and beyond. While faculty and staff work around the state,
the administrative offices are in beautiful Saratoga Springs, New
York. Picturesque tree-lined streets with rows of gracious
old-style Victorian houses and restored spa areas reflect the
city's colorful history. The town is highly walkable, offering
access to restaurants, cafés, bookstores, and the nation's longest
continuously running horse racecourse. The region boasts lakes and
forests and has a rich assortment of cultural and natural
offerings, including the Saratoga Performing Arts Center and the
beautiful Adirondacks nearby. Albany, the state's capital, is a
short drive down the Northway, and New York City, Boston, and
Montreal are within a 3.5-hour drive. Please
visit www.Saratoga.org to learn more.
SUNY Empire is committed to creating a multicultural,
inclusive academic and work environment. All qualified applicants
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual
orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran
status. We believe that having diverse faculty and staff is
critical to academic excellence and prepares students to live and
work in an increasingly global world.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and
resumé/curriculum vitae to RPA Inc. at email@example.com. For a confidential
discussion about this opportunity or to make a nomination, please
email Kendra Mozug, Search Consultant, or Dana John Cohick,
President, at the email address listed above. The first review of
candidates will begin on January 22, 2024.