Job Summary/Basic Function
The Financial Aid Counselor is responsible for counseling and
advising students and parents on the various financial aid
programs, as well as the administration of the Private Loan
Program, Verification of FAFSA data elements, Special and Unusual
Circumstances reviews, and assisting in the administration of the
Federal Pell Grant program. These processes include the
reconciliation of programs, collecting data, and keeping accurate
This job also requires the person to maintain confidentiality and
be knowledgeable of requirements and eligibility of all offered
financial aid programs to properly counsel and advise students and
families. Assistance on procedures and tasks related to their aid
program administration is provided under the guidance of an
Located in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, Millersville University
of Pennsylvania is one of the 10 public universities of
Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education. Our pillars of
distinction include exceptionally strong student-faculty
relationships, numerous programs of distinction, a beautiful campus
and vibrant location, and successful job placement for our
students. Our students’ success, both inside and outside of the
classroom, is our highest priority, and we provide numerous
opportunities to facilitate their academic, personal, and social
growth and development. Almost 70 baccalaureate programs are
available for our 6,000 students to find their path. Approximately
one thousand graduate students enroll in 21 master’s and three
doctoral programs. Our faculty are highly respected in their fields
and dedicated to the success of students in the classroom, research
labs, and in campus life. Over 66,000 alumni live in all 50 states
and in 72 countries around the world. We seek individuals who
embrace and value our EPPIIC values of exploration, public mission,
professionalism, inclusion, integrity, and compassion.
$51,306.00 plus comprehensive benefits
starting on the first day of employment, including:
- Health insurance – Low bi-weekly premium. Employees pay
5% of bi-weekly salary for benefit coverage with ability to pay
2.5% when participating in the wellness program.
- Dental insurance – Coverage is free to employee and
dependents after 90 days.
- Vision insurance – Coverage is free to employee and
dependents after 90 days.
- Group life insurance - equal to annual salary (up to
$50,000) at no cost to the employee
- Voluntary Group Life and Accident Insurance – available
for purchase at low rates for additional employee coverage as well
as coverage for spouse and children
- Long Term Disability Insurance – available for purchase
at low rates with either a 90 or 180-day waiting period.
- Retirement – 2 plans to choose from
- Tuition waiver – employee, spouse, and dependents are
- Vacation leave – up to 10.4 days accrued for the first
year, increases to up to 15.6 days per year after first year.
- Personal leave – up to 5 days per year
- Sick leave – up to 15.6 days accrued per year, including
up to 5 days per year that can be taken to care for a family
- Holiday leave – up to 12 days per calendar year
The State System Employee Benefits Summary can be found at
At Millersville University we are committed to fostering
a learning and working environment that promotes the
intersectionality of diversity to foster a climate of inclusion.
Employing our EPPIIC values and the principles of Inclusive
Excellence, we hold that an inclusive community is a core value
that is an essential part of the foundation for our learning and
working environment. Millersville University is an equal
opportunity employer and, in compliance with federal and state laws
and university policy, is committed to providing equal educational
and employment opportunities for all persons without regard to age,
color, national origin, race, religion, disability, veteran status,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Individuals from traditionally underrepresented populations are
encouraged to apply.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience working in a financial aid office or have other
- Comfortable speaking before groups of students and
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal communication
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel,
- Evidence of a commitment to diversity, equity, and
- Demonstrate sensitivity to diversity and multicultural
- Valid driver’s license
- Successful interview
- Successful completion of three background checks.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- 2-5 years of financial aid experience.
- Prior professional work experience in a financial aid
- Prior experience using Ellucian Banner
- Prior experience using Campus Logic Products
- Experience working with private loan programs.
- Experience counseling students and families as it pertains to
- Experience using a recognized student information system to
process federal, state, and private aid such as COD, NSLDS, PHEAA,
This position is represented by a labor union and is subject to the
terms and conditions of the SCUPA Collective Bargaining Agreement.