Assistant to the Board of Trustees
About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Westfield State University was founded on the ideals of
Horace Mann who sought to improve society through education. We
were the first public education institution without barrier to
race, gender or economic class. The spirit of innovative thinking
and social responsibility is forged in a curriculum of liberal arts
and professional studies contributing to the development of
knowledge, skills, and character essential for students to become
responsible leaders and engaged citizens.
Westfield State is a highly residential campus with approximately
55% of our 3,100 full-time undergraduate students living on campus.
The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire
Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the
thriving cultural centers of Springfield, Northampton, and Amherst
with a selection of museums, theater, collegiate and minor league
sports, hiking trails, and restaurants. The University is within
1.5 hours of Boston and Albany and within 3 hours of New York City
and the Green Mountain range of Vermont.
Thank You for Your Interest in Becoming a Westfield State
You are welcome here. You can advance your career and make a
difference here. We invite you to bring your whole self and talents
to Westfield State University. The University seeks applicants
whose record of teaching, student advising, research, and
administration positions them to contribute to the everyday
practice of our institutional values.
Westfield State commits to values that strengthen a common bond
among all members of our community and promotes a rich campus
- Embrace Diversity - We treat all members of our community with
dignity and respect.
- Maintain Excellence and Integrity - We maintain excellence and
integrity in all that we do.
- Collaborate with Each Other - We make decisions in a
transparent and collaborative manner.
- Provide Accessible Education - We commit to providing an
accessible, affordable public higher education for all.
- Build a Strong Community - We are inclusive and ensure equity,
supporting the personal development of all community members, and
embracing multiple perspectives.
- Engage the Outside Community - We support civic engagement in
local, regional, and global initiatives.
Assistant to the Board of
State Job Title:
Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Regular Days Off:
Saturday and Sunday
Receives supervision from
the Special Assistant to the President on University Strategies and
Chief of Staff.
May provide direction to
$67,000.00-$72,000.00 (salary to
commensurate with education and experience)
General Statement of Duties:
The Staff Associate, Assistant to the Board of Trustees, provides
administrative support for the Board of Trustees and associated
committees (executive, governance and nomination); also provides
administrative support to the Director of Communications for the
President; develops and manages annual budget for Board of
Trustees; participates in the coordination of any event that will
involve Board of Trustee members; also provides administrative
support to the Office of the President.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include but not limited to:
- Provides administrative support to the Board of Trustees by
coordinating meeting arrangements; sends public notice of all
meetings as required by University Bylaws and Open Meeting Laws;
maintains required public records; prepares and distributes meeting
agendas and materials; obtains appropriate signatures on Board
motions and minutes; maintains minutes of Board and committee
meetings; maintains Board files; prepares and distributes
materials/correspondence to and on behalf of the Board.
- Serves as staff member for Board of Trustee Executive
- Actively participates in the coordination of any event or
meeting in which members of the Board of Trustees are expected to
- Develops and manages annual budget for the Board of
- Maintains a follow-up system to assure receipt of required
information and timely completion of assignments. Oversees the
maintenance and organization of all records for the Board of
Trustees. Provides copy of Board meeting minutes and motions to
Library for archives, uploads meeting material and minutes to
Trustee webpage, and distributes copies of signed motions to
- Responsible for ordering and maintaining regalia/hoods for
Board of Trustees.
- Keeps informed of pertinent regulations and legislation as they
affect public records and open meeting laws. Advises Board of
Trustees on questions regarding open meeting laws.
- Coordinates Board of Trustee swearing-in, orientation, training
and/or retreats, including travel arrangements and travel
- Manages and updates Board software, including uploading
relevant meeting materials, notices and resources.
- Trains Board members on Board software.
- Maintains and updates Board grid.
- Maintains inventory records of Board iPads.
- Serves as back-up to other President's Office administrative
staff, as required.
- Provides coverage for President's Office Lobby (greeting and
directing visitors and callers); serves as back-up for the
reservation of the President's Board Room, Guest Suite, and
President's Office car.
- Assists other President's Office staff as necessary to complete
departmental goals and objectives.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree
- A minimum of three years of experience in a high-level
administrative support position.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to
- The ability to work with a variety of people in a positive,
congenial and professional manner.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Ability to take initiative, make decisions, exercise
independent judgment, communicate effectively, and maintain
confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to compose letters, gather information for and prepare
reports, maintain accurate records, and give written and oral
- Ability to meet expectations for weekend and evening
commitments (i.e., commencement and meetings)
Salaries for current Westfield State University employees and
individuals currently working for the state of Massachusetts must
be calculated individually in accordance with collective bargaining
agreements as well as state policies. State job specifications may
be found on the Department of Higher Education's webpage
Benefits are an important component of an employee's total
- Health Insurance: Westfield State offers a variety of HMO, POS,
and PPO-type health insurance plans for eligible employees with
coverage effective on the 1st of the month following the 60 days of
- Retirement: the MA State Employee Retirement System provides
eligible employees with a retirement pension following a 10-year
vesting period. In lieu of the retirement pension, eligible
employees may select the Optional Retirement Plan with a maximum 5%
employer matching contribution.
- Tuition Waivers & Discounts: eligible employees, including
spouses and dependent children, receive reduced tuition at MA state
colleges, community colleges, and universities.
- Paid Time Off: employees receive 11 paid holidays and generous
vacation, personal, and sick leave benefits.
- Additional information regarding employee benefits is available
on the University's Benefits & Wellness webpage.
Westfield State University is committed to the full inclusion of
individuals with disabilities and will ensure the availability of
reasonable accommodations. If a reasonable accommodation is needed
to participate in the job application or interview process, please
contact Human Resources at (413) 572-8809 or visit us in the Horace
Mann Building, 1st floor.
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion and review
of a background check. A criminal record will not automatically
disqualify an applicant from consideration.
An on-line application is required.
candidate must submit an official transcript at the time of hire.
Interested candidates should electronically attach the following
- Cover Letter
- Contact information for three references *
- Copy of unofficial transcript of highest degree
* Provide the contact information for reference providers in the
reference section of the online application.
Deadline: The job posting will be open a minimum of ten days and,
if needed, will remain open until finalists have been
NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please
contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be
found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=170279&CNTRNO=16&TSTMP=0