Reporting to the Chief Information Officer, the Director of Institutional Research provides leadership and performs all necessary functions related to the collection, interpretation, and use of institutional data for reporting, planning, assessment, and decision making. Facilitates access to information maintained in the college’s administrative/student information system to support college operations and monitor key institutional indicators, ensuring the integrity of data/information released in reports or studies, and providing data analysis, reporting, or research as needed to support institutional objectives. The Director will supervise the Office of Institutional Research and design activities to accurately collect, analyze and publish data and information required for compliance with federal and state reports, institutional effectiveness, institutional advancement, enrollment management and retention and all other research and survey initiatives as required. This position requires knowledge of data analysis and reporting methodologies, organizational skills, keen attention to details and deadlines, and the ability to manage multiple projects.
The Office of Institutional Research is the College's central point of contact for data and information. As such the Director of Institutional Research is expected to participate actively in establishing a culture of evidence throughout the Cecil College community. Additionally, the Director of Institutional Research is expected to transform the Office of Institutional Research to improve interaction among Cecil constituents to better articulate data requirements, ensure data integrity, participate in data security standards, and establish reporting standards.
- Prepares state, federal, and college accountability reports according to documented requirements, ensuring accuracy and timeliness.
- Leads the development and execution of institutional research strategies aligned with the college's mission, goals, and accreditation requirements.
- Oversees the collection, analysis, and interpretation of institutional data to inform decision-making processes, support academic and administrative units, and contribute to institutional effectiveness.
- Ensures accurate and timely submission of institutional data for state and federal reporting requirements. Maintains compliance with relevant regulations and accreditation standards.
- Under the direction of the College Administration, designs and implements research projects to assess the effectiveness of academic programs, student services, and institutional initiatives. Provides actionable insights to enhance overall institutional performance.
- Collaborates with academic and administrative departments to identify data needs, address research questions, and support evidence-based decision-making. Fosters a culture of data-informed decision-making across the college.
- Assists in the development and supports the implementation of data governance policies and procedures to ensure the integrity, confidentiality, and availability of institutional data.
- Conducts benchmarking studies to compare the college's performance with peer institutions and industry best practices, identifying areas for improvement and innovation.
- Participates in senior technology management discussions and direction setting to align policies and systems with the College objectives.
- Meets regularly with college division and department leaders, team members, students, faculty and staff to solicit cooperation, plan initiatives, meet customer requirements, communicate new features and resolve problems.
- Represents the college at federal, state, and local level meetings, seminars, or conferences as appropriate and at professional organizations related to institutional research within the state, taking a leadership role where appropriate.
- Maintains and distributes data, studies, or research to support the planning efforts of the college.
- Develops and implements processes for collecting, linking, and analyzing data from a variety of sources including internal systems, state and federal agencies, other higher education institutions, and employers.
- Maintains the administrative/student information database(s); updates and maintains system files, establishes, and maintains security and access information, ensures that backup copies of all files are routinely made and securely stored at a separate location, maintains system documentation.
- Monitors the overall integrity of data, complying with state and federal requirements and taking appropriate steps to correct data discrepancies when noted.
- Works with areas of the college responsible for data input to improve process for collecting and inputting accurate data into the data system.
- Coaches staff in order to achieve high performance.
- Assists in the development and completion of organizational goals, policies, processes, and procedures for the Office of Institutional Research.
- Assists the CIO in strategic and budget planning.
- Performs other duties as required.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution required; Master's degree preferred
- Fours years of experience in systems analysis and design in enterprise applications, preferably in a higher education institution.
- Familiarity with cloud technologies (Azure, Snowflake, or AWS) and data visualization tools such as SSRS, Power BI, or Tableau.
- Experience and knowledge of ERP systems and SQL. Use of Jenzabar preferred.
- Experience using database software, mainframe applications, and/or statistical software; experience using SPSS or comparable software preferred.
- Experience in and knowledge of local, regional, and national assessment issues.
- Strong project management skills and experience. Ability to manage multiple projects, including development and management of budget.
- Proficient in training end-users in the use of reporting/analytical tolls and reporting technology.
- Curious, coachable, and committed to lifelong learning with the ability to quickly learn new technologies and systems.
- Ability to work a varied schedule during critical periods including evenings Saturdays, and Sundays.
- Due to the need of interaction with students, employees and the college community this position requires in-person presence. This position is eligible for telework of one day per week.