Public Safety Officer
Responsible for performing law enforcement and crime prevention
activities. Controls traffic flow and enforces State and local
traffic laws on Pacific campus.
- Patrols University property in patrol car, bicycle, and foot
- Provides information and direction to staff, faculty, students
and visitors to campus.
- Enforces City, County and State laws, and University rules and
- Conducts preliminary and follow-up investigations.
- Makes arrests as necessary and prepares reports.
- Interviews victims, complainants and witnesses.
- Testifies and presents evidence in court.
- Assists in performance of a variety of community relations and
crime prevention activities.
- Participates in public relations programs to promote better
police community relations and crime prevention.
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
This position serves as Campus Security Authority (CSA) as outlined
by the Clery Act. CSAs have federally mandated responsibilities to
report crimes that are reported them.
University of the Pacific recognizes that diversity, equity, and
inclusion is foundational to the success of our valued students and
employees. We prioritize policy and decision- making that
demonstrates awareness of, and responsiveness to, the ways
socio-cultural forces related to race, gender, ability, sexuality,
socio-economic status, etc. impede or propel students, faculty, and
Special Instructions to Applicants: UOP is an Affirmative
Action/Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to workforce diversity.
Must successfully meet the minimum qualifications of the City of
Stockton and complete a background investigation, which shall
include a pre-employment physical, computerized voice stress
analysis, and psychological screening.
position is governed by the terms and conditions in the Stockton
Public Safety memorandum of understanding (MOU) agreement between
University of the Pacific and the Stockton Police Department.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Graduate of a California (CA) Police Officer Standards and
Training (P.O.S.T) approved academy and currently possesses a valid
certificate, or a valid CA P.O.S.T Recertification certificate or a
valid CA P.O.S.T academy Basic Course Waiver certificate.
- Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age at the time of
- Be a citizen of the United States or have applied for
citizenship (and achieve citizenship within three (3) years).
- Have no felony convictions.
- Prior law enforcement experience preferred, but new academy
graduates are encouraged to apply.
- Knowledge in Community Oriented Policing.
- Understanding of current policing issues, philosophies,
practices, and trends as applied within the University
- Certified in Basic First Aid.
Skills/Knowledge and Expertise:
- Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with
diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and
enhance diversity and inclusion.
- Basic computer skills in Windows operating system, Microsoft
Word and Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to read maps and retain street, building, and compass
- Able to research and gather information through interrogations
- Effectively communicate over telephone and radio
- Effective operation of Emergency Vehicles.
- Able to effectively qualify in the use of firearms.
The physical demands described here are representative but not
definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully
perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
Union membership required. Must pass Physical Agility Test (PAT)
required to meet physical requirements for Stockton Police
Department. Must successfully complete a background investigation,
which shall include a background screening, pre-employment
physical, and a psychological screening.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel:
Work performed both in and out of doors. Must be willing to work
evenings, night, weekend, and holiday shifts.
Valid driver’s license required. Incumbent must also be able to
meet the University’s fleet rules and be eligible to drive for
University business. The University and its insurance carrier
reserves the right to exclude applicants based on their driving
$31.00-$37.44 per hour. We consider factors
such as, but not limited to, scope and responsibilities of the
position, candidate’s qualifications, internal equity, as well as
market and organizational considerations when extending an
Background Check Statement:
All applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment are
required to execute a release and authorization for a background
To apply, visit https://pacific.peopleadmin.com/postings/27270
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal
opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In
compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is
committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff
and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in
the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff
on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry,
age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and
veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy,
gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical