Technical Support Specialist I
The Technical Support Specialist I is responsible for first tier
technical support to the University community, sets-up, configures,
troubleshoots and upgrade desktops, peripherals and generates
written resolutions in central database/knowledge repository and
provides bypass and recovery of issues reported to them.
- Provides high level of customer service to University community
during resolution of technical issues.
- Communicates clearly and effectively with users of varying
levels of expertise.
- Installs, configures and maintains hardware, software and
peripherals within University community.
- Creates and maintains process and procedure documentation.
- Serves at Customer Service intake desk to receive support
requests in person, by phone or through other communications.
- Logs each request received into the Pacific Technology Incident
& Issue management System, maintains updates, and follows up to
ensure customer satisfaction.
- Troubleshoots hardware and software issues in a professional
and expedient manner.
- Works on special projects as needed (major systems upgrades,
new OS installs, etc.).
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
University of the Pacific recognizes that diversity, equity, and
inclusion is foundational to the success of our valued students and
employees. We prioritize policy and decision-making that
demonstrates awareness of, and responsiveness to, the ways
socio-cultural forces related to race, gender, ability, sexuality,
socio-economic status, etc. impede or propel students, faculty, and
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Two (2) years of experience with computer hardware and
- One (1) year of experience in a Customer Service
- Net+, relevant experience, or equivalent certification.
- Excellent customer service skills with ability to communicate
with a diverse group of customers, having differing levels of
technical expertise, with patience and empathy, fostering
- Strong knowledge and understanding of computer application
support, equipment maintenance and repair, customer service skills
for a Help Desk environment, network installations/operations,
computer management and support, systematic troubleshooting, cable
installation and system security.
- Understanding of networks (I.e. LAN’s, WAN’s).
- Understanding of Active Directory (I.e. Password Resets, Users
- Proficiency in and knowledge of ServiceNow Incident Management
- Proficiency in and knowledge of Apple products and iOS.
- Proficiency in and knowledge of Microsoft Windows products and
productivity software (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of Linux systems.
- ITIL Foundation Certification or successful completion of
ITILtraining and certification within introductory period.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to accept responsibility for managing assigned tasks,
with follow-through to ensure successful completion.
- Ability and willingness to establish and maintain effective
working relationships with others.
- Experience and sensitivity in working with people of diverse
backgrounds and cultures.
- Demonstrated experience in advancing social justice, equity,
and inclusion in a university setting.
- Ability to engage and integrate culturally responsive practices
and knowledge in their work.
The physical demands described here are representative but not
definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully
perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
Extended periods of sitting with repetitive hand/wrist motion while
keying on computer or using phone. Frequent walking and standing
required. May require occasional, bending, stooping, squatting,
reaching and occasional climbing of ladders and stairs. Simple
grasping, frequent use of computer keyboard. Ability to lift/carry
up to 25 lbs.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel:
Work is primarily performed in a standard office environment and/or
machine room with exposure to noise and cooler temperatures. Work
performed during standard business hours. Occasional overtime,
after-hours, and/or weekend availability may be required to meet
business deadlines. Willingness to work under occasional stress.
Travel as required to work on all University campuses.
$20.35 - $26.96 per hour. We consider factors
such as, but not limited to, scope and responsibilities of the
position, candidate’s qualifications, internal equity, as well as
market and organizational considerations when extending an
Background Check Statement:
All applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment are
required to execute a release and authorization for a background
To apply, visit https://pacific.peopleadmin.com/postings/24456
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal
opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In
compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is
committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff
and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in
the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff
on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry,
age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and
veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy,
gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical