The Director of Student Health Services provides strategic leadership, and administrative and clinical oversight for Student Health Services (SHS) personnel which includes managing the day-to-day operations on the Biddeford and Portland campuses. The position oversees all necessary healthcare accreditation processes and other projects that require input from sections within SHS, as well as various departments and organizations across the University. The Director must possess broad, evidence-based clinical knowledge of primary care and women’s health, outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, a strong understanding of accreditation systems and processes, and quality improvement. The Director additionally provides direct clinical care/services at both student health locations.
As the landscape of collegiate health is evolving rapidly, the Director must serve as a visionary leader who keeps up-to-date regarding collegiate health issues. The Director is a visible leader within the UNE community, providing guidance and a trusted voice in student health matters, and educating the community about numerous health issues to include integration of public health and behavioral/mental health. The Director must also have a keen appreciation for the varied health needs of a diverse undergraduate and graduate student body.
UNE is Maine’s largest private university, with two beautiful coastal campuses in Maine, a one-of-a-kind study-abroad campus in Tangier, Morocco, and an array of flexible online offerings. In an uncommonly welcoming and supportive community, we offer hands-on learning, empowering students to positively impact a world full of challenges. We are the state’s top provider of health professionals and home to Maine’s only medical and dental colleges, a variety of other interprofessionally aligned health care programs, and nationally recognized programs in the marine sciences, the natural and social sciences, business, the humanities, and the arts.
UNE offers a generous comprehensive benefits package to eligible employees. The package includes varied health and dental plans; a retirement plan that includes up to an 8% match; extensive paid leave including holidays, vacation, sick and personal time; and educational benefits. Please visit the Human Resources Benefits site (https://www.une.edu/hr/benefits) for additional information regarding UNE’s fantastic benefits package.
Provides medical direction and administration including, but not limited to:
- Leads development, implementation, and evaluation of clinical practice guidelines.
- Develops, maintains, updates, and implements healthcare policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Provides direct care to students, including referral/consultation for specialty services.
- Collaborates with SHS personnel to ensure the clinical services rendered reflect high-quality care and evolve to match the needs of the patients, the institution, and the UNE community.
- Works in partnership with the Director of Counseling Services to ensure a coordinated approach in delivering behavioral/mental health services to the UNE student community.
- Initiates community education, programming, and outreach to students addressing relevant college health issues/needs.
- Monitors any pertinent health issues affecting the University and advises the Vice President of Health Affairs and the Provost.
- Ensures providers are aware of, and compliant with, departmental, institutional, clinical, educational, accreditation, and NCAA policies as appropriate.
- Performs quality assurance and leads improvement and risk mitigation initiatives within the SHS, including appraisal of services and programming, as well as management of the electronic medical record system and/or other documentation and compliance processes.
- Exercises SHS budgetary monitoring and planning.
- Provides timely feedback and performance appraisal reviews for SHS staff and providers.
- Works with the Director of Athletics and members of the Athletics department to ensure health and safety of all student athletes (including varsity and club sports) and adherence to NCAA guidelines.
- When applicable, collaborates with clinical training programs to provide clinical experiences for UNE health profession students.
- Participates in local and national health organizations including other college/university health centers to keep the University apprised of the latest health trends
- Considered Essential Personnel in the event of a campus, local or federal health emergency or crisis situation.
- Board-certified DO or MD with 3-5 years’ experience in academic health care or equivalent.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Eligibility for Maine licensure.
- Proven successful experience with policy and process creation and implementation.
- Strong clinical operations and administrative accomplishments and skills.
- Experience with sports teams (e.g. professional, NCAA, amateur) or equivalent.
- Sports Medicine training and/or Fellowship.
- Proficient in long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) procedures.