The Southern University System invites nominations and submissions for the position of Chancellor of Southern University and Agricultural and Mechanical College in Baton Rouge (SUBR). As the chief executive officer, the Chancellor is responsible for the administration of all activities of the campus including, but not limited to, academic, financial, student, administrative affairs, and other support activities. The Chancellor reports to the Southern University System President and through him/her to the Southern University Board of Supervisors, as required.
Responsibilities of the position of SUBR Chancellor include the following:
- Reviewing and approving academic programs
- Approving standards for students’ admission and retention
- Submitting an annual budget to the President and administering the approved budget for the campus
- Recommending to the President appropriate personnel action (appointments, promotions, transfers, suspensions, dismissals and other) for faculty, staff and administrators for the campus
- Representing the campus, or part thereof, to the community, external agencies and to the public in general
- Implementing policies, procedures, controls, evaluations and other measures necessary for operational effectiveness in instruction, research, student affairs, finance, support areas, community and public relations, and in other areas of campus activities
- Directing and taking appropriate action to effectively execute the responsibilities of the university in accordance with policies, requests, and directives emanating from external agencies (e.g., Board of Regents and Louisiana Legislature)
- Appropriately advising the System President on important matters affecting the campus
Founded in 1880, SUBR is a Carnegie Research 2 level institution and a leader in unique academic programs, innovative research, and community service, offering four-year graduate, professional, and doctoral degree programs. The University is the flagship of the five campuses comprising the only Historically Black College and University System in America. SUBR has approximately 7,200 students, 1,400 full-and part-time employees. Although the majority of the programs are offered at the undergraduate level, a faculty of over four hundred (400) offers more than fifty-five (55) programs leading to baccalaureate, master, and doctoral degrees. SUBR also offers seven (7) degree programs fully online.
SUBR’s annual unrestricted and restricted budget exceeds $184 million and its capital assets located on approximately 512 acres, is valued at cost of more than $431 million.
The Southern University System seeks to ap point a dynamic individual with a vision and proven record of leadership, who demonstrates excellence in academic and intellectual accomplishments, significant administrative experiences in higher education administration and management, and the ability to work collaboratively with faculty, administrators, and staff to accomplish the responsibilities of the position.
The successful candidate will have:
- An earned terminal or professional degree from an accredited institution
- 5 years executive level experience in higher education administration, financial management, resource development or related skills, and student and faculty recruitment
- Demonstrated experience at achieving the mission of a four-year institution on a local, national, and international level
- Experience in academic and strategic planning, (which includes establishing and implementing graduate level academic programs) and effective human resource and budgetary management
- Successful track record in fundraising
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills