Founded in 1764, Brown is a leading institution for education,
discovery, and global intellectual progress as well as one of the
largest employers in Rhode Island. Working at Brown brings more
than just a paycheck and generous benefits; it offers an
opportunity to contribute to a greater good. Join us in supporting
the pursuit of knowledge and individual growth that defines higher
education and enriches our community.
The Inclusion and Outreach Specialist oversees the curricular,
research and professional service activities of department
programs, faculty initiatives and manages community-building and
outreach activities for Computer Science (CS). This position
supervises the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) student
advocates, proposes new DEI initiatives, and is an active member of
the CS Diversity Committee, assisting with the recruitment and
support of a diverse and inclusive student and faculty community.
The incumbent also provides administrative and financial assistance
for faculty in a number of specific research groups in the
department. In addition, the Specialist plays a critical role in
collecting and sharing the department’s demographic information to
the department leadership, the University administration, and to
the teaching assistant union and will need to adhere to strict
Education and Experience
Additional physical demands and working conditions:
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of related experience or
equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Financial and/or outreach coordination experience,
- Experience working in an academic higher education institution,
- Experience in event coordination, highly desirable.
- Experience working with DEI matters, preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs (Word, PowerPoint,
Excel), Web based programs and tools, Gmail and related Google
applications, Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication
- Ability to handle sensitive matters with tact and diplomacy and
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to work under pressure in a deadline oriented and fast
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to support a community of diverse
perspectives and cultures in an inclusive environment.
- The incumbent will be expected to assist at the department's
annual commencement ceremony on an annual basis.
- Attendance at events outside of normal working hours may be
- Travel to off-site conferences required.
Brown University is a leading research university distinct for its
student-centered learning and deep sense of purpose. Our students,
faculty, and staff are driven by the idea that their work will
impact the world.
Brown University offers a flexible work/life balance ; summer
hours, winter break, and a comprehensive Benefits package including
time off, annual paid holidays; benefits offerings including
health, dental, vision, tuition assistance, retirement, wellness,
employee discounts, and more.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal
background check and education verification satisfactory to Brown
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Inclusion and Outreach Specialist
Department of Computer Science
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any
staff position at Brown University you must submit an application
form for each position for which you believe you are qualified.
Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please
include a cover letter and resume with each position
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer
, Brown University provides
equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and
retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age,
national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other
characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is
protected by our University policies.