Founded in 1764, Brown is a leading institution for education,
discovery, and global intellectual progress as well as one of the
largest employers in Rhode Island. Working at Brown brings more
than just a paycheck and generous benefits; it offers an
opportunity to contribute to a greater good. Join us in supporting
the pursuit of knowledge and individual growth that defines higher
education and enriches our community.
If you’re seeking a position with great benefits, set hours during
the academic schedule, and a competitive wage, the search ends
Brown Dining Services is looking to expand our team of dedicated
Food Service Workers. The Food Service Worker position is a union
position that starts at a rate of $18.91 per hour. You'll receive
overtime for any hours worked over 8 hours in one day! Work for a
company that provides up to 14 paid holidays per year! Want to work
on the holiday? You'll get overtime for that too! Previously worked
in the food service industry and nervous to get back after the
pandemic? Brown Dining Services is proud to say that it did not lay
off any employees during the COVID-19 pandemic so work for a
company that not only provides job security but also professional
In this position, you’ll not only have access to delicious food,
but you will be surrounded by wonderful students and staff and will
be part of a welcoming community. The Food Service Worker performs
a variety of tasks primarily related to the preparation, service,
support, supply, and sanitation functions in a food service
Typical tasks may include some or all the following, but are not
- Friendly, efficient service and presentation of food to
- Answer questions related to foods (and ingredients)
- Assure proper temperature of food.
- Perform finish production such as sandwich preparation,
grilling, slicing, assembling, preparing foods for service, mixing
- Maintain a neat and orderly service area.
- Restock food and supplies as requested.
- Assist with preparation and service for special functions,
- Clean and sanitize work area, tables, chairs, pots and pans,
utensils and equipment.
- Remove trash and dispose of in proper containers.
- Remove soiled trucks to dish room.
- Break down soiled trays of food and sort various components
into proper areas in preparation for washing.
- Feed and unload conveyor dishwashing machines, store clean
dishes in designated areas, and sort silverware.
- Operate, clean and maintain equipment, including dishwashing
machines, juice and milk dispensers, ice cream dispensers,
- Ensure proper use of dishwashing machines with regard to
appropriate use of cleaning supplies, correct operating temperature
and overall operation of machines.
- Set up rooms for functions and move related furniture as
- Assist in unloading delivery trucks and in storing foodstuffs
- Observe departmental standards for safety and sanitation.
- Maintain a neat, well-groomed appearance.
- Perform other tasks, including cashier/check or other duties,
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS :
- Positive and friendly customer relations skills.
- Ability to understand and follow instruction.
- Basic math ability relating to portion control, counting,
restocking, and cashier/checker duties.
- Ability to complete tasks quickly, thoroughly, and
- Ability to handle complex duties, anticipate needs and juggle
multiple tasks where priorities have been pre-established.
- Possess a willingness and ability to support and promote a
diverse and inclusive campus community.
- Ability to operate assigned equipment correctly and
All offers of employment are contingent upon a background check
satisfactory to Brown University
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Food Service Worker - 41 Weeks
Dining Services Union Rates
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any
staff position at Brown University you must submit an application
form for each position for which you believe you are qualified.
Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please
include a cover letter and resume with each position
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer
, Brown University provides
equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and
retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age,
national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other
characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is
protected by our University policies.