The School of Graduate & Professional Studies invites applications for field director of the Master of Social Work program. This position is responsible for developing and implementing field placements for this new graduate level program under the direction of the Program Director. This person will also assist with curriculum development and accreditation applications with CSWE. Responsibilities include cultivating and maintaining strong relationships with field placement sites, overseeing field placements and site supervisors, teaching, student recruitment and retention, and curriculum development and assessment. The field director will pursue academic excellence within the program by providing innovative and high-quality field placements, promoting the program and enhancing its visibility, assisting with the achievement of recruitment and retention goals, and managing the day-to-day logistics of field placements.
- Teaching in needed areas of expertise. May include graduate and undergraduate level courses Academic student advising Actively engage in institutional service Maintain scholarship agenda
Field Director responsibilities
- Identify, secure, and maintain appropriate field placements for students in the MSW program. Oversee field placement supervisors and establish and maintain systems needed for the smooth functioning and assessment of field placements. Provide support to the Program Director in applying for, obtaining, and maintaining accreditation from CSWE. Contribute to productive climate among program faculty and students. Maintain quality control in field placement courses including LMS use and expectations for faculty presence in courses. Create and maintain assessment of student learning in field placements. Review, create and revise program policies and student field placement handbooks as necessary. Serve as an effective spokesperson for the program with internal and external audiences. Advocate for growth and advancement of the program and profession in accordance with trends and standards of the field. Maintain consistent and reliable attendance.
- Ph.D. in Social Work or related field
- Experience in higher education teaching and/or administration
- Experience working in the social work field
- Demonstrated administrative excellence, preferably in an academic setting Supervisory experience in social work and/or higher education
Social work license preferred
The Program: Messiah University’s Masters of Social Work is designed to prepare graduates with the knowledge, dispositions, and skills they need to be exemplary practitioners, scholars, and leaders in the field of Social Work. Our program is offered primarily online.
The School: Advancing the mission of Messiah University, the School of Graduate and Professional Studies educates students for a lifetime of intellectual exploration, ethical leadership and exceptional professional practice within a complex world. Our programs include ten master’s degrees, two doctoral degrees, and numerous graduate certificates and post-master’s certificates. The coursework for most of our graduate programs is conducted primarily online, with some programs being fully online and others being fully residential. Messiah University is a nationally ranked, accredited university that successfully integrates top-tier academics and Christian faith.
The University: Messiah University is a Christian university of the liberal and applied arts and sciences and has a student body of nearly 2,500 undergraduate students including 18.5% under-represented and 2.6% international students from 22 countries and over 700 graduate students including 18.8% of students from under-represented populations.
The University is committed to an embracing evangelical spirit rooted in the Anabaptist, Pietist and Wesleyan traditions of the Christian Church. Our mission is to educate men and women toward maturity of intellect, character and Christian faith in preparation for lives of service, leadership and reconciliation in church and society. Messiah University is a teaching institution that emphasizes instruction but values research and public service. Strong support is given to faculty development in teaching and scholarship.
Diversity: Messiah University’s commitment to diversity and inclusive excellence draws inspiration from its mission “to educate men and women toward maturity of intellect, character and Christian faith in preparation for lives of service, leadership and reconciliation in church and society.” The university has pursued this vision through a strategic planning process that encourages diversity through employee and student composition, campus climate, and an educational program that enables educators and students to embrace diversity. Candidates should clearly articulate why diversity and cultural intelligence matter to them as persons of faith as well as in their profession. Candidates will speak to how as a potential employee, they will contribute to the advancement of this vision through their teaching-learning, research, institutional service, and public engagement.
Starting Date for Position: Preferred start January 2024
Compensation: Messiah University offers a strong benefits package in addition to salary and rank commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applications: Application materials will be reviewed upon receipt and will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please provide the following:
Cover letter that outlines your interest in the position, College/University Transcript(s), Curriculum Vitae, Personal Statement of Faith that details how your Christian faith is a strong fit with the mission and identity of Messiah University and how it impacts your teaching experience, your philosophy of teaching, and a statement that demonstrates your commitment to diversity and inclusion that is consistent with Messiah University’s goals.
Curriculum Vitae must include: (1) education, (2) previous employment history, (3) scholarly and professional accomplishments (e.g., papers, publication, recitals, showings), (4) membership in scholarly, professional, or honor societies, and (5) awards and honors received.
Please apply via the following link: https://jobs.messiah.edu/postings/25814
Messiah University does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, disability, or veteran’s status in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs. Consistent with our nondiscrimination statement, the University does not tolerate abuse or harassment of employees, students or other individuals associated with the University. This includes, but is not limited to, vendors, contractors, and guests on the basis of, but not limited to, any of the above categories.