Position Information-Job Vacancy
Coach, Retention Success Health Sciences (Allied Health)
Full Time or Part Time
Fixed Term/Tenure Track (Faculty Only)
Hiring Salary Range
$28.88 - $31.77/Hourly
Job Description Summary
The Health Sciences Retention/Success Coach for nursing and allied
health programs serves as a coach and mentor for students
throughout their respective programs. The primary focus of the
Retention/Success coach is supporting allied health students to
enhance success. The Retention/Success Coach collaborates with
current faculty and staff in developing plans to support student
success. The Retention/Success Coach inspires, mentors, motivates,
and challenges students to excel. The Retention/Success Coach
supports enrollment, student development, and retention services
while ensuring high-quality learning in accordance with Prince
George’s Community College’s ( PGCC ) policies and procedures and
federal, state and regional regulatory requirements and
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing or Allied Health discipline from
an institution accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S.
Department of Education (or international equivalent)
- Certification/licensure in Nursing or Allied Health disciplines
- One year of recent clinical practice experience and/or
experience in the healthcare environment and patient services
- One year of online education experience preferred (either as an
online facilitator, instructor or student).
- One year of experience in academic advising of nursing or
allied health students in higher education preferred.
- Ability to advise and coach to offer a better student
experience provides timely information and feedback.
- Flexibility to meet with students in-person on the college
campus and virtually via the College LMS . Willing to work morning,
afternoon and early evening depending on student availability.
- Customer focused and dedicated to student development and
success, establishes and maintains effective relationships with
students and earns their trust and respect.
- Ability to use logic, data, resources, and methods to solve
difficult problems with effective solutions.
- Approachability: approach and speak with, builds rapport well,
is a good listener, early knower, getting informal and incomplete
information in time to do something about it..
- Ability to conduct formal presentations, one-on-one meetings,
small and large groups meetings with peers, and leaders.
- Ability to complete tasks through formal and informal channels
and the informal network.
- Ability to orchestrate multiple activities at once to
accomplish a goal.
- Knowledge of higher education institution policies and
- Able to communicate effectively in spoken and written standard
- Proficient use of information technology to support
- Ability to translate college policy and procedures in alternate
formats for student use.
The following criteria, which are not the sole
criteria used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review
the applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum
qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be
interviewed. Other information and observations made during the
interview process may be considered in the selection process. A
Resume/CV and cover letter are required with the application.
Please ensure that your documents address the criteria listed below
for this position.
- Identifies at risk students early in their matriculation.
- Creates a short or long-term tailored plan for students and
touch points to evaluate and reassess.
- Investigates best practice trends and strategies for coaching
- Implements strategies to support student including but not
limited to individual and group tutoring, instruction on study and
test taking skills, time management and work / life balance.
- Develop learning Cafés to support students based on identified
- Mentors students throughout their program of study.
- Tailors services available to meet the program and students’
- Collaborates with the faculty to promote a quality student
- Ensure that students are on track with document retention
- Collaborates with the Nursing Department and Allied Health
Department in ensuring programmatic accreditation standards are met
in regard to student success.
- Acts as the first point of contact/team resource concerning
student performance issues and questions.
- Serves as subject matter expert in program curriculum process
and responsible for information dissemination to advising
- Partners with the department chairs to track progression of
students towards to ensure students are aware of all requirements
- Tracks metrics relevant to student progression through the
program and the reason for stop out if relevant.
- Collaborates with the departments to evaluate processes in the
spirit of continuous quality improvement.
- Manages cohorts of students and coaches through degree
- Coaches and inspires students with life or other circumstances
to ensure online course attendance.
- Encourages and supports students as they gain the skills and
knowledge necessary for success.
- Provides a trusting environment where students can share their
thoughts, aspirations, concerns, and interests.
- Acts as the student liaison between other departments.
- Submits monthly reports of student mentoring and success
- Participates on assigned committee(s).
- Attend and participates in department meetings.
- Shares the knowledge of the college catalog, curricula, and
- Interprets and accurately communicates college policies and
procedures for students, faculty and staff.
- Initiates, discusses and implements strategies to improve
student success in Health Sciences students.
- Consults with Allied Health and Nursing Department Chairs and
Program Directors as needed.
- Partners with faculty and staff to provide in class
intervention, in class presentations, implement annual programs and
training for students.
- Identifies and directs students to appropriate resources or
departments for specialized on‑ and off‑campus resources to meet
- Remains current and knows how to use Colleague, Owl Link, the
email system, and other technologies or software required to
- Seeks opportunities to grow professionally by attending
workshops, conferences, meetings and forums, reading literature,
research publications and other professional development
opportunities to advance expertise while supporting students’
success and to enhance the student experience.
- Develops collaborative, effective working relationships and
programs with college personnel who are critical to Health Sciences
- Assesses all programs, services and initiatives to ensure the
learning outcomes and program outcomes are met. Report the findings
on a monthly basis.
- Creates, discusses and implements strategies to improve student
success in Health Sciences programs.
- Assists in the development and preparation of informational and
marketing materials related to retention services specially for
Health Sciences students.
- Performs related work as required.
Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively
communicate and interact with other employees and the public
through the use of the telephone and personal contact as normally
defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle, or feel
objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and
operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not
limited to, a personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax
machine. No significant climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching,
reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping,
and repetitive motions.
Is Background Check Required?
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present
acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a
U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
- A background investigation will be conducted prior to the offer
of employment. A signed authorization for the release of personal
information will be required if selected for an interview.
Is the incumbent responsible for working with minor children or
directly engaging with minor children on campus?
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Background Check Statement
Prince George’s Community College is committed to providing a safe
campus community. PGCC conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. Background
investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record
check, education verification, and when appropriate, a financial
(credit) report or driving history check.
Special Instructions to Applicants
This is a grant-funded position through June 30, 2024.
Continuation of employment is contingent upon grant
; you will receive an email acknowledging
receipt of your application, upon which time no further
communication occurs unless selected for an interview or the
position is filled. If recommended for hire, communication is
immediately sent to your references listed on your application.
Also, you will receive an email notification from HireRight
requesting you to submit authorization to complete a background
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor of Science in Nursing or Allied Health
discipline from an institution accredited by an agency recognized
by the U.S. Department of Education (or international equivalent)?
- * Do you have a certification/licensure in Nursing or Allied
- * Do you have a minimum of one year of recent clinical practice
experience and/or experience in the healthcare environment and
- * Do you now or in the future require visa sponsorship to
continue working in the United States? As required by the 1986
Immigration Act, candidates must present acceptable documentation
showing that they are a U.S. Citizen or a resident authorized to
work in the U.S.
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- HigherEd Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Personal Referral
- PGCC Website
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook)
- The Chronicle of Higher Ed
- The Washington Post
- Other: Please indicate below
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity? If you
selected 'Other' please indicate source:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Certifications - See Minimum Qualifications for type