Professional Development & Career Coach (Technology)
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Proposed Start Date
$54,300 - $82,602
Honors Carolina is a four-year academic program geared toward the top 10% of undergraduates at UNC, and is comprised of a remarkable collection of courses, study abroad programs, special events, career development, and other learning opportunities. It is the University’s way of investing in truly exceptional undergraduate students by providing academic and non-academic challenges and opportunities, both inside and outside the classroom. Approximately 2100 students are currently members of Honors Carolina. These students enjoy priority enrollment in more than 200 honors courses each year. These are small classes, taught by award-winning professors who encourage classroom discussion and hands-on research. Outside of the classroom, members of Honors Carolina attend a diverse roster of co-curricular programs designed to help students explore their interests; prepare for life after graduation; and connect with students, faculty, alumni, and leaders around the globe. The Honors Carolina ‘Go Anywhere’ initiative is a comprehensive plan to elevate the program’s reputation among industry leaders, position it as a destination of choice for top recruiters, and prepare students to seize opportunities before them through intensive advising and coaching.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
This position is located in the Honors Department within the College of Arts and Sciences. The Career & Professional Development Coach will provide industry-focused leadership and strategic direction for designing, developing, and managing innovative programs that will elevate Honors Carolina’s reputation among industry leaders and position Honors Carolina as a destination of choice for top recruiters. Reporting to the Director of Alumni & Career Networks, the Coach works with Honors Carolina students to foster their academic and career exploration, self-assessment, and post-graduate preparation. The Coach will develop and foster on-going relationships with internal and external stakeholders, introducing students to career exploration and development resources, job shadowing experiences, and internship and full-time job opportunities. This will include developing and coordinating in-person and virtual opportunities for students to connect with Honors Carolina alumni and friends, as well as teaching two to four sections of HNRS 101/201: College, Careers and Honors Carolina Life annually. Additionally, the Coach will facilitate ongoing industry-focused career advising and coaching in the areas of resume development, medical school application, cover letter and personal statement writing, interviewing, networking, job search methods, and career preparation.
As they undertake these tasks, the Coach will draw on advice and support from the Honors Carolina Advisory Board and sector-specific advisory councils of alumni and industry leaders.
Essential Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Master’s Degree in Business, Computer Science, Engineering, or related field.
- Three (3) years of experience in one or more of a variety of business settings including corporate, entrepreneurial, and/or other successful leadership experience in business development, recruitment, or external affairs.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with key stakeholders and constituent groups and foster the spirit of engagement.
- Employer relations/development experience.
- Unwavering commitment to the highest ethical standards and professional integrity.
- Exceptional communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills in a collaborative, multi-disciplinary environment.
- Minimum SACS qualifications to be appointed as fixed-term faculty.
- Ability to utilize technology in the delivery of student programs.
- Demonstrated skills in writing, speaking, giving presentations, managing projects, coordinating events, and leadership.
- Ability to use all products in the Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Relevant post-Baccalaureate degree required (or foreign degree equivalent); for candidates demonstrating comparable independent educational or instructional activities associated with the delivery and/or management of student support functions, will accept a relevant Bachelor’s degree (or foreign degree equivalent) and at least 1 year of relevant experience in substitution.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Experience working with or managing a board is preferred.
- Experience using electronic career resources including career services management software, and the ability to deliver virtual/recorded programs is preferred.
- Qualification to administer and interpret self-assessments (Strong Interest Inventory, MBTI, and StrengthsQuest) preferred.
Special Physical and Mental Requirements:
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting: https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/270164
Department Contact Name and Title:
Department Contact Telephone or Email:
Posting Open Date: 11/21/2023
Posting Close Date: 01/02/2024
Open Until Filled: No
Office of Human Resources Contact Information: If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (919) 843-2300 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: The Office of Human Resources will not be able to provide specific updates regarding position or application status.