Vice President of Finance and Operations
Pay Grade Level
Health, dental, vision, life, short-term and long-term disability
insurance, flexible spending and dependent care accounts, health
savings accounts, Michigan Public School Employees Retirement
Systems or TIAA 401(a) 12% employer contribution, TIAA 403(b),
generous sick and vacation time, paid holidays, modified summer
schedule, YMCA membership, Wellness Program, tuition reimbursement
and professional development support.
Job Summary/Basic Function
As Vice President of Finance and Operations, reporting directly to
the President, provides leadership and direction in the areas of
budgeting, business policies and procedures, payroll, general
accounting, contracts and grants, purchasing and cashiering, asset
and risk management. In addition, is responsible for providing
leadership and administrative oversight for planning and directing
the College’s operations department. The VP of Finance and
Operations ensures that business transactions and support services
meet college short- and long-term goals and objectives. The VP of
Finance and Operations will be expected to participate in the
College’s Continuous Improvement process as well as be willing to
be trained in interest-based (mutual-gains) bargaining
- A Bachelor’s degree in business administration, management,
accounting or finance.
- Five (5) years of management/supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of accounting computing software.
- Previous experience in a substantive role with a business and
finance office, a similar office in a community college, or a
similarly complex organization.
- Experience with GAAP, governmental accounting, and federal
- Leadership in a diverse environment.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and solve complex
- Effective communication and public relations skills.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with government agencies,
business, and industry.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate, design, and implement
efficient administrative structures.
- Demonstrated ability to establish, direct, and integrate
business and finance programs of a major public institution.
- Experience with institutional and financial strategic planning
and long-term forecasting.
- Knowledge of the structure, operations, and requirements of
federal, state and local financial regulatory and funding
- Successful application of investment strategies and
- Demonstrated ability to work with electronic data
Months Per Year
- A Master’s degree in business administration, management,
accounting, finance or a CPA .
- Experience working with different structures of financial
sources; i.e, state appropriations, capital campaign, millage tax,
- Experience working with databases, specifically Microsoft SQL
- Familiarity with the Transact SQL language and ability to write
simple SQL queries.
- Experience working within a higher education Enterprise
Resource Planning ( ERP ) system, example: Jenzabar or Ellucian
- Experience working in an environment that fosters and supports
Hours Worked Per Week
Typical hours are 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. with an hour lunch
The Vice President of Finance supervises the Director of Business
Office, Director of Facilities, and Shipping and Receiving
The Vice President of Finance and Operations reports directly to
Work environment characteristics described here are representative
of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform
the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but
may be loud in areas of equipment operation.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed by personnel assigned into this
classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list
of all job duties performed by personnel so classified. Job related
functions may be performed with or without accommodations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger,
handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and
arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or
hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or
move up to 25pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job
include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral
vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Travel required to Iron Mountain campus. This position with other
Senior Leadership team members will work from the Iron Mountain
campus at least twice per month.
- Hiring, scheduling, supervising and evaluating all
- Setting goals and objectives.
- Providing assistance and support.
- Creating a supportive working relationship.
Budget and accounting system:
- Responsible for all accounting functions of Bay College.
- As Vice President of Finance of Bay College, this position
serves as assistant treasurer for the Board of Trustees.
- Coordinates the preparation of college budgets within the
procedures established by the Board of Trustees.
- Develops and implements an accounting system, adhering to state
and federal laws.
- Prepares and estimates revenue for distribution of funds.
- Calculates and distributes fringe benefits.
- Implements and administers an expenditure control and
monitoring system to ensure revenue equals or exceeds expenses and
operating budget funds are in balance.
- Ensures that grant funds are expended in compliance with grant
guidelines and timelines.
Oversees all business and operation functions of the College:
- Reviews and analyzes major contractual obligations of the
Institution, such as construction and professional services, and
contract and grant proposals.
- Coordinates preparation of college leases and contracts for
goods, services, and facilities.
- Prepares bids for goods and services in accordance with
policies and procedures and state and federal law.
- Prepares bid reports and recommendations.
- Coordinates external audit of College finances, including
College Foundation and financial aid records.
- Prepares tuition waiver report.
- Develops and implements internal auditing procedures.
- Coordinates administration of insurance programs.
- Coordinates risk management functions.
- Participates with the President and other senior officers in
institutional planning, policy development and problem resolution;
serves on the President’s cabinet.
- Serves on the college negotiation team that uses interest-based
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory and funding agencies and
the rules of accrediting bodies by continually monitoring
operations; initiates changes where required.
- Through the President, works with the Board of Trustees on
financial and facilities issues of the College.
- Develops and carries out the mission statement of the business
division; formulates goals and objectives for the goals of Bay
- Interacts with the Bay College community and the public
regarding college affairs.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Beth Berube, Director of Human Resources
Shena Meffer, Human Resources Specialist
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Target application deadline date is January 10, 2024.
During the application process, you will be asked to provide 3-5
references (professional and/or personal references). We recommend
including current/prior supervisor(s), direct report(s), and/or
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Other Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral
- * What is the highest level of education attained?
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- * How many years of experience do you possess working in the
- No experience
- 0-1 year of experience
- 2-4 years of experience
- 5-8 years of experience
- 9-12 years of experience
- 15+ years of experience
- * How proficient would you rank your technology skills with
various computer software applications and database management?
- Not proficient
- Somewhat proficient
- Very proficient
- * Do you have experience in working with detailed budgets?